ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time of Stay in Jersey

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jerseyguy
Newly Registered

Time of Stay in Jersey

Post by Jerseyguy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi,

I have been working in Jersey, Channel Islands for the past 2 years.
My question is if I move to UK, will my stay of 2 yrs in Jersey be counted towards the 5 yrs continuous stay rule for ILR purposes.

Thanks,
Jerseyguy

intgral

Re: Time of Stay in Jersey

Post by intgral » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi,

Did you get an answer to this? I was interested as well, being offered a job there.

Anyone?

Thank you.

Jerseyguy wrote:Hi,

I have been working in Jersey, Channel Islands for the past 2 years.
My question is if I move to UK, will my stay of 2 yrs in Jersey be counted towards the 5 yrs continuous stay rule for ILR purposes.

Thanks,
Jerseyguy

fhumbert

Post by fhumbert » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:04 pm

On what basis have you been living and working in Jersey ?

Jerseyguy
Newly Registered

Post by Jerseyguy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:45 pm

I have a 3 year work permit from the Jersey immigration authority.

fhumbert

Post by fhumbert » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:37 am

The Channel Islands are not part of the UK but under the british nationality act, they are treated as if they were.
So you will be able to count your time there towards the 5 years

Jerseyguy
Newly Registered

Post by Jerseyguy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks for the reply fhumbert :)

I am aware that under the British Nationality Act, time of stay in Channel Islands is counted as being in UK for the purpose of nationality. However, the Immigration rules say differently and do not recognise time of stay in the Channel islands for the purpose of computing 5 years continuous stay for granting ILR. I believe the rules on this are not very clear and I have heard of people who have had success in getting their time of stay in Jersey counted towards the 5 year rule. However, it comes down to the interpretation of the case officer and if they go strictly by the Immigration Rules, the application can be rejected and an appeals process will have to be followed. It is clear that the RULES cannot override the provisions of the British Nationality ACT, but there seems to be no clear policy followed by the case officers.

It would be good to hear a response from someone who has been through this process and can provide an insight on the definitive stand taken by the UKBA.

Cheers
Jerseyguy

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:48 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jerseyguy
Newly Registered

Post by Jerseyguy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks for the reply vinny :)

mohdq
Newly Registered

Stay in channel islan

Post by mohdq » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Jersey Guy

I lived in Guernsey for 1 year and 3 months, then i came to UK on work permit plus HSMP plus Tier 1.

After 5 years *including CI time) i applied for ILR through Named OISC advisors, who ensured me that stay in guernsey counts. I paid 2500 in costs just to find out that the appliaction was refused.

The home office however did counted the period that was covered by the UK high commision visa stamp (you get leave to remain for a year or two when you initially come to guernsey).

Any extentions made in guernsey or jersey are not acceptable.

Having said that, I know number of people who got even jersey / guernsey stamps accepted.

Moral of the story, it depends upon the person who is reviewing your case and also upon your luck.

BTW i am currently going for a judicial reiew on my own but i am not sure if i can do that myself or need a barister.

joh892

Post by joh892 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:38 am

Mohdq, any progress on your case?

joh892

Post by joh892 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Any update on your case Mohdq?