ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working outside the UK when being on ILR

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

enquirer
Newly Registered

Working outside the UK when being on ILR

Post by enquirer » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:57 am

Hello everyone.

My wife and I have ILR in the UK. She has a prospective job offer in Amsterdam.
Does anyone know if she is allowed to work outside the UK (on the continent) being on ILR and a passport of non-EU country?
She has a Schengen visa from travelling to Italy for Xmas (about 4 months left).

At this moment I have a job in London and I cannot immedaitely leave the UK. We need to see if she gets a job and things go well, then I will follow her.
She will be applying for Naturalisation in a few weeks (and then it will take months to get the British citizenship), but the job will not wait for her.

I hope you will be able to advise or point to the appropriate information resource.

Thanks a lot.
E

lemess
Member of Standing

Re: Working outside the UK when being on ILR

Post by lemess » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:24 am

enquirer wrote:Hello everyone.

My wife and I have ILR in the UK. She has a prospective job offer in Amsterdam.
Does anyone know if she is allowed to work outside the UK (on the continent) being on ILR and a passport of non-EU country?
She has a Schengen visa from travelling to Italy for Xmas (about 4 months left).

At this moment I have a job in London and I cannot immedaitely leave the UK. We need to see if she gets a job and things go well, then I will follow her.
She will be applying for Naturalisation in a few weeks (and then it will take months to get the British citizenship), but the job will not wait for her.

I hope you will be able to advise or point to the appropriate information resource.

Thanks a lot.
E
Unfortunately she will need to take a Dutch work permit in order to take up the job as the ILR will not give her any right to work in Holland. Things would be a lot smoother if she were to naturalise first or work out an arrangement to be based in the UK for a few months before she gets her UK passport. From what I've heard getting a dutch residence permit is pretty painful for non EU citizens and waiting for a few months and getting naturalised may well be the best option.
Also you can take a chance on her naturalisation getting turned around ina few weeks - especially if you apply through NCS. My wife and I applied using that route ( my wife after 15 November) and she had her UK passport wihin 30 days of her application. I think it's worth trying your luck there.

enquirer
Newly Registered

Post by enquirer » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:17 pm

Thanks very much for this, lemeless.

We will try these routes. I have already applied for naturalisation myself, but so far no luck...

Best Regards
E

basis

Post by basis » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:20 pm

I would agree with lemess. Better to ge naturalisation out of the way so no need to go for WP etc. Dutch WP is very time consuming and onerous process - UK passport much stratightforward and quicker visa NCS. Good luck.