ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

conversion to ILR from a work permit question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gadgets
Newly Registered

conversion to ILR from a work permit question

Post by gadgets » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:25 pm

My first work permit was issued on November 2002 and it was valid for six months, this was then extended again on May 2003 for another six months and finally was extended again on November 2003 for 48 months. For the first 12 months of my stay in the UK, my company paid for my stay at a B&B and my salary was paid out of the US. It was not until November 2003 that I leased a flat under my name.

My question is when can I actually apply for an ILR? October 2006 or October 2007?

If the ILR is approved, is it just one more year before I can be naturalized as a UK citizen?

Thank you.

gadgets
Newly Registered

Post by gadgets » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:34 am

as a follow up on the above post, if I consult with an immigrations lawyer what should I expect their fees will be? Any reputable immigration lawyer in the Birmingham area?

Thanks

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:54 am

You'll be eligible 28 days before the 4 year anniversary when you first entered the uk with your first work permt (assuming theres been no significant break in your stay from then until now)

The fact you were paid in the US during the first year or so should not have a bearing (however you may have to pay tax in the UK! A recent double taxation thread comes to mind!)

And yes once you've got your ILR you can apply after a year as long as you meet the residence requirements. However it may be worth looking into your tax arrangements for that first year as the nationality team will check to see your tax affairs are up to date.

Also this will be something you will be able to do yourself! No need for expensive lawyers. Your's looks like a straightforward case.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:56 am

You'll be eligible 28 days before the 4 year anniversary when you first entered the uk with your first work permt (assuming theres been no significant break in your stay from then until now)

The fact you were paid in the US during the first year or so should not have a bearing (however you may have to pay tax in the UK! A recent double taxation thread comes to mind!)

And yes once you've got your ILR you can apply after a year as long as you meet the residence requirements. However it may be worth looking into your tax arrangements for that first year as the nationality team will check to see your tax affairs are up to date.

Also this will be something you will be able to do yourself! No need for expensive lawyers. Your's looks like a straightforward case.