ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for Students, please help!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mackenzy
Newly Registered

Naturalisation for Students, please help!

Post by Mackenzy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:49 am

Hi all

I have a somewhat unusual immigration case here. I received my ILR 5 years ago when I was 14 in my country of origin to join my British parent here in the the UK (not by descent, she wasn't born here). Therefore I wasnt eligible for under 18 rules.

So I waited 5 years (now 19) to apply for Naturalisation. In the application form it asks for "Good Character". It requires my employment and tax status but I do not work nor do I pay any taxes since I'm a full time University student. How should I fill in that part?

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:28 am

Just put student or full time student (if you don't work).
Employment is not a condition for naturalization.

Mackenzy
Newly Registered

Post by Mackenzy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:22 pm

Backer wrote:Just put student or full time student (if you don't work).
Employment is not a condition for naturalization.
Yes but on the AN form, there is no option for students to tick off. Do I need to send a University letter or something to confirm I'm studying full-time? How about my secondary school?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Mackenzy, as has already been pointed out to you, there is no employment requirement for a Naturalisation application .... and for the record, neither is there a studying requirement.

For example .... clearly not your circumstance ... someone could have been say a housewife since arriving in the UK, and never been in paid employment, that would not stop them applying for Naturalisation, assuming of course all the requirements have been met.
John