ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Airport Immigration Officials

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AzimScot

Airport Immigration Officials

Post by AzimScot » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi,

Do they have the right to ask british citizens if your partner is married and that your kids. Also, they asked the kids is that your father or you being kidnapped? Isn't this illegal?

Thanks.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:21 pm

They can ask what they want if it's relevant to exit and entry to the UK.

oldno7
Newly Registered

Post by oldno7 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:32 pm

AzimScot, On this forum it's best to just get advice on procedural stuff. Trying to discuss anything else even if it seems deeply unfair, biased etc is likely to get a cold response on this forum.

Me personally, I think the point you raised warrants a complaint even if you have to go through third parties like an MP.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:59 am

Having seen children of friends travelling on holiday or going back to their home countries with people who are not parents, I think it is a very pertinant question.
I think that you are being overly sensitive

INSIDER

Re: Airport Immigration Officials

Post by INSIDER » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 am

AzimScot wrote:Hi,

Do they have the right to ask british citizens if your partner is married and that your kids. Also, they asked the kids is that your father or you being kidnapped? Isn't this illegal?

Thanks.
Yes they do have a right to ask such questions, although I find it difficult to believe an Immigration Officer would seriously ask a child if he is being kidnapped.

Immigration officers have a duty of care to all minors. That is children under the age of 18. It is a legal obligation.They have to ensure that children travelling alone or even with adults who may not be their legal guardians are safe and are not being trafficked or at risk of being used for other nefarious activities. Don't forget Victoria Clambie[sp] was illegally brought into the UK. Many Romany children are regularly trafficked into the UK and then found on the streets begging. I know of
several children coming to the UK to pursue internet relationships with
men of a shady disposition and vice versa. It is a duty IOs do not take lightly and if any IO is found to be negligent in the discharge of this duty
he/she could well face disciplinary or even criminal charges.

So if an adult has a different surname from the child the officer may ask questions to confirm the exact relationship. Having said that, such a question should be asked with tact and diplomacy.

gollywood
Member of Standing

Post by gollywood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:21 pm

I think you are being over-sensitive.

Be grateful that they ae asking i.e they are looking out for your childrens welfare & wellbeing!