ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Offer from Sheffield & general bank/SIM/rent queries

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

AjitRajawat
Newly Registered

Offer from Sheffield & general bank/SIM/rent queries

Post by AjitRajawat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:37 am

Hello Friends,

I am from India, having tier-1 visa,
recently I got an offer from Sheffield, ( 59.5K per year) & I have following queries :
1. How much will be the in-hand per month salary after deducting tax (2010-11) & National insurance?
2. How much will be the rent for shared room, with/without Spam?
3. For opening the bank account, what documents I need to submit? Can I open the account with my office address instead of home address?
4. Any popular &cheap calling card for India.
5. Any suggestion for GSM provider?
6.& finally How much will I be able to save?

Looking forward to your responses.

Best regards
Ajit.

win2010
Newly Registered

Post by win2010 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:50 am

Hi Ajith
Plz. post your job search experience.That will be really helpful.Also how many years of experience do you have and to which field you belong to?

AjitRajawat
Newly Registered

Post by AjitRajawat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:05 am

win2010 wrote:Hi Ajith
Plz. post your job search experience.That will be really helpful.Also how many years of experience do you have and to which field you belong to?
I have 10 years of experience in embedded systems, and got an offer through reference from my office colleague in India.

win2010
Newly Registered

Post by win2010 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:07 am

You got the offer from India or you attended the interview in UK?

AjitRajawat
Newly Registered

Post by AjitRajawat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:23 am

win2010 wrote:You got the offer from India or you attended the interview in UK?
From India only, interviewed through videoconf.

kenfrapin

Re: Offer from Sheffield & general bank/SIM/rent queries

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:09 am

AjitRajawat wrote:Hello Friends,

1. How much will be the in-hand per month salary after deducting tax (2010-11) & National insurance?
3. For opening the bank account, what documents I need to submit? Can I open the account with my office address instead of home address?
Congrats on the offer.....here are some links to help you out.
1. Go on to listentotaxman.com and key in your salary
2. check rightmove.co.uk, nestoria.co.uk and just google ' Shared rooms in Sheffield'
3. Yes office address is fine. Once you start work, ask your company HR to give a letter and you can open an account anywhere. Else you can also open an online account without the need for any such documentation
4. So many companies sell Sim cards that give cheap calls to India. Try Vectone Mobile, Tesco Mobile, Lycamobile etc. Dont worry there are too many options once you land here.
5. Once again, if you take a SIM from companies I mentioned above you can use that number as your local UK number plus use it to make calls to India. Their local call rates will be similar to standard providers like Orange, O2, 3 Mobile etc
6. Depends completely on you. But if you are getting £60k a year, planning to live in a shared accomodation and without family and living up in Sheffield and earning £3450 tax free, you can EASILY live a comfy life on £1450 and save almost £2k a month!!!. If you plan to spend a little more, you can still save £1500 a month :-)

All the best
KP

AjitRajawat
Newly Registered

Re: Offer from Sheffield & general bank/SIM/rent queries

Post by AjitRajawat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:44 am

kenfrapin wrote:
AjitRajawat wrote:Hello Friends,

Congrats on the offer.....here are some links to help you out.
1. Go on to listentotaxman.com and key in your salary
2. check rightmove.co.uk, nestoria.co.uk and just google ' Shared rooms in Sheffield'
3. Yes office address is fine. Once you start work, ask your company HR to give a letter and you can open an account anywhere. Else you can also open an online account without the need for any such documentation
4. So many companies sell Sim cards that give cheap calls to India. Try Vectone Mobile, Tesco Mobile, Lycamobile etc. Dont worry there are too many options once you land here.
5. Once again, if you take a SIM from companies I mentioned above you can use that number as your local UK number plus use it to make calls to India. Their local call rates will be similar to standard providers like Orange, O2, 3 Mobile etc
6. Depends completely on you. But if you are getting £60k a year, planning to live in a shared accomodation and without family and living up in Sheffield and earning £3450 tax free, you can EASILY live a comfy life on £1450 and save almost £2k a month!!!. If you plan to spend a little more, you can still save £1500 a month :-)

All the best
KP

Hi KP,

Many thanks for your input.
One last question, Do I need to keep any medical report?, for showing to immigration, at UK airport?