ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

3 months contract normal?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ashwin2005

3 months contract normal?

Post by Ashwin2005 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:40 pm

I am moving to UK on my first job with HSMP. I am offered only 3 months contract. The company says initial contract will only be for 3 months. Is this normal?

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:46 pm

Yeah, this is normal for a contractual position.
Initial contracts are for normally three and sometimes six months.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

Ashwin2005

Post by Ashwin2005 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:32 am

Thanks Indian_in_UK.

If the contract is only for three months, how can we open Bank accounts, and how can we get any housing lease for such a short period?

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:14 pm

Ashwin2005 wrote: If the contract is only for three months, how can we open Bank accounts, and how can we get any housing lease for such a short period?
Best advice is to approach the employer/agency and ask them to write a referal letter to their own bank briefly describing your situation and status for opening a new bank account. After that, take a copy of the same letter to the bank' branch in person and apply for a current account.

For housing lease, you will need to find another person apart from the emploer to use as a reference.

hope this helps.

herman404
Newly Registered

Post by herman404 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:18 am

For housing, it is best to get a short let lease. This will cost more than a long let, but it includes all of your utilities (except telephone) council taxes, and everything else. You do not need to show proof of a permanent job when doing a short let. If you're in London, it is best to look up a lot of the estate agents here like Foxtons, Ludlow Thompson, Bushell's, Hamptons International, etc...

NationOne

Post by NationOne » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:35 pm

I'd say dont worry about short term contracts. I started mine on a 50 day contract and I get it extended every 2 months.

While letting a house, initially I had to make a down-payment of 6 months rent. After that, when I built up a good bank balance, it was all smooth sailing.

webhunter
Member of Standing

Post by webhunter » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:39 pm

hi nationone,

which contract are you in? i am looking for contracts in IT (java), thought you could help.

thanks

Rajan

Job on HSMP

Post by Rajan » Sun May 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Hi NationOne & Webhunter,

Could you pls clarify on this...

- Are the jobs in IT sector are easily available?

- Which is better paid thing, Permanent or Contract Job

- Can u work as contarctor while on HSMP

- How are salaries for ERPs consultants like SAP or PeopleSoft(Range estimate)

Thanking you !
Rajan
---- Never Say No To Life ----

uk_job_hunter
Newly Registered

Post by uk_job_hunter » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:58 pm

Hi guys,

I am SAP Basis consultant with 5 years of experience and got HSMP approval. And got my EC as well. Do anyone know about any job openings in UK for my profile.

any information regarding this is highly appreciated.

uk.destiny

Post by uk.destiny » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:03 pm

Hey,

You are posting the same messages in different threads.
I already answered for your thread in different section.

You can forward your cv to sklntk@rediffmail.com

Uk Destiny

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:03 pm

uk_job_hunter wrote:Hi guys,

I am SAP Basis consultant with 5 years of experience and got HSMP approval. And got my EC as well. Do anyone know about any job openings in UK for my profile.

any information regarding this is highly appreciated.
Stop hijacking threads with requests for a job... I believe you already have started your own thread

niruv

Post by niruv » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:13 pm

Friends,
Jobs in IT are not that easy here unless you have emerging skill and high experience. You need to wait for some time to get initial job. Once you have a job it will be bit easy from then for the next job.