ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry Date is 2 months before I intend to move

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MattDell

Entry Date is 2 months before I intend to move

Post by MattDell » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi all, thanks for the guidance in this forum I was granted a Tier 1 last week.

My entry date is 6 February, but I must stay with my current employer until at least 1 March, and after that I have holiday plans in Australia for the 2nd part of March. So, realistically, I can't move to the UK until April.

I want to be able to apply for ILR in 5 years, but from what I have read, entering the UK more than 28 days after your entry date can cause extra hassle in the future.

Two questions
1) Can I (legally) have a quick weekend trip to the UK to get my passport stamped?
2) Traveling there for a weekend will cost me around 600 GBP; is it worth it to do this just to get my passport stamped and reduce future hassle?

Cheers,
-Matt

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:27 am

When you applied, didn't you ask them to postpone the effective date?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

MattDell

Post by MattDell » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:37 am

Yes, I asked them to postpone it 90 days from my application date, which they did.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:42 am

Matt, read this explanation about the 28 day rule and why you have 28 days.

1. Yes you can, your first entry shouldn't be a problem afaik. Although you are not sticking to the reason you got the visa, you're also a non-visa national, so I don't think there should be much problem. If you go this route, don't worry about it.
2. I would say no - that's just personal opinion. You would be entering as a visitor, not really to stay there to become resident. When you fill in your ILR application in 5 years time, do you really want to "lie" on there if you only actually moved there in April.

That said, read my post and the concern about extensions (all speculation though).

I am not sure why you would have chosen 6 February if you could only leave later.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

MattDell

Post by MattDell » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:03 am

Thank you for the explanation, mulderpf. That's a very informative link as well.

You do raise a good point about the ILR application and explaining those days from the proposed weekend to my actual move day. I suppose it is probably best to just stay put.

Thank you for putting that in perspective for me.

Cheers,
-Matt

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:48 am

What you might want to do (and it might cost a little more than GBP600 at the time, but not much) is to renew and then renew shortly afterwards again in order to make up your five years if it seems that they are going to close the route completely. Also as I might have mentioned, you never know what options you might have in a few years time!

Good luck (and enjoy the holiday)!
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.