ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice re: documents for unmarried partner visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

browneyed_girlksk
Newly Registered

Advice re: documents for unmarried partner visa

Post by browneyed_girlksk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi all,

I see from the UKBA guidance that to apply for an unmarried partner visa, you should submit at least 6 documents in your joint name and if you don't have enough, you may submit documents addressed to each of you separately but showing the same address.

Since my partner has lived at our flat longer than me - pretty much all of the household bills etc. are in his name (as they were set up before I arrived in the UK) We have also never bothered to set up a joint bank account.

As such - the only things we have in our joint name are:
- 2 tenancy agreements (although the tenancy for the first 10 months I have been in the UK is only in his name, as I moved to the UK about 2 months after he signed his one year contract)

- a couple of council tax statements

- a letter from the voter registry confirming our registration at the same address (although we didn't register until several months after I arrived)

Beyond these we have LOADS of correspondence addressed to us individually at the same address (bank and credit card statements, work contracts, doctor letters, liability insurance policies and professional registrations for our respective jobs)

I'm pretty sure that strictly speaking, our application would fall within the requirements. However, I'm a bit concerned that we don't have more items in our joint name, as items to us as individuals appear to be viewed less favorably. What I wondered, is whether I should go out and try to arrange more "joint" correspondence - or is what we have right now likely OK?

I Hope I'm just being paranoid....

JeJe
Newly Registered

Post by JeJe » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:16 am

Hi.

One of my friends from non EC applied for partner visa. Her partner is EC citizen who lives in the UK.
She has some job (part time as student), she has bank statements (not joint), GP, Mobile bills, registered in library on this address.

With this all she applied and got it.

You have much more better then my friend.

Good luck.

Tra8erse
Newly Registered

Post by Tra8erse » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:04 pm

To OP:

Hi, I was granted FLR as an unmarried partner while being in a similar position. We only had a joint tenancy agreement, one council tax bill and an electricity bill (recurrent). All other documents were addressed to us separately but we had plenty spread throughout the 2-year period.

I don't think you have anything to worry about on the account of correspondence. Just make sure that you have a variety of sources to choose from as your caseworker may request them (I applied in person and this is what happened when our caseworker thought she had seen enough of fuel bills :))

Good luck!

browneyed_girlksk
Newly Registered

Post by browneyed_girlksk » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks guys,

When I look at the guidance on the home office website it looks like I'm probably ok, but when I get looking around on the internet I see lots of people implying we have to have lots of evidence of joint financial obligations (because joint tenancy on its own could just be a roomate situation - although if they saw our teeny one bedroom they'd struggle to see how it could be that). So I worry that I should be getting a joint bank acct or something (but seriously, who does that anymore??). You experiences are very reassuring - so thanks :)