ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometric for Tier 1 Extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rshelar
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Biometric for Tier 1 Extension

Post by rshelar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:41 am

Hi,

I am planning to apply for a Tier 1 Extension very soon and need some clarification regarding biometric.

Is that required for Tier 1 Extension. The bia homepage doesnt mention Tier 1.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while ... -need-brp/

You do need to apply for a biometric residence permit if you are currently in the UK and you want to extend your temporary permission to stay here in one of the following immigration categories:
There is no Tier 1 listed below. Can anyone confirm ?

* Tier 2 (General) of the points-based system
* Tier 2 (Intra company transfer) of the points-based system
* Tier 2 (Sportsperson) of the points-based system
* Tier 2 (Minister of religion) of the points-based system
* Tier 4 (General) of the points-based system, including postgraduate doctors and dentists
* Tier 4 (Child) of the points-based system
* representative of an overseas business
* domestic worker in a private household
* sole representative of an overseas firm
* UK ancestry
* academic visitor (if you are applying to extend your stay in the UK to more than six months)
* visitor for private medical treatment
* husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner of a British citizen or a person who has settled in the UK

Also, if I have an in person appointment on say 3rd Feb but I am flying out of the country on 10th Feb, would that cause any problems? I would expect to get the new extension on 3rd but if I need biometric card, then can I go without it ?

Can someone please point to how this works if an application is sent by post

Thanks in advance

yh37
Newly Registered

Post by yh37 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:40 am

You must enroll your biometric information at PEO if apply in person. But you won't get your ID card back the same day, it will usually take 3 to 10 days to arrive by post and you should not travel abroad until you receive your ID card because the previous leave to remain on your passport is no longer valid once the ID card is issued.

rshelar
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by rshelar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please clarify how does this work if I apply by post.

Do I need to enroll for biometrics before I send out my application, or should I do it after I send it ? What is the exact chronological steps ?

adityaisukapalli
BANNED

Post by adityaisukapalli » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:16 pm

rshelar wrote:Thanks for your reply.

Can you please clarify how does this work if I apply by post.

Do I need to enroll for biometrics before I send out my application, or should I do it after I send it ? What is the exact chronological steps ?
When you apply in post, you will receive a letter asking you to enroll your Biometrics and that letter will quote a Reference Number. You need to call/online HO to book an appointment for Biometric Enrollment. After that, when you give your Biometricss on the appointment date, you should receive your Visa Card with in 10days. (Normally 3 to 5 days)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:51 pm

rshelar
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by rshelar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:40 pm

sushdmehta wrote:See also Biometric enrolment leaflet

regards
Thanks sushdmehta

The last page in that document was precisely what I was looking for. Very helpful.

Just one more question, when trying to book an appointment for in person application for Tier 1 Extension (and I dont mean biometrics after sending postal) what option is a person required to select in the drop down for type of application ?

The only suitable option looks like Tier 1/5 Biometric online. Is this the right one ? Or is that specifically for applicants who have sent docs by post and booking an appointment online ?