ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice for Switching to PSW to Tier 1 Dependant

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

VisaFrenzy
Newly Registered

Advice for Switching to PSW to Tier 1 Dependant

Post by VisaFrenzy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:02 am

My leave to remain is expiring next week on PSW. I am applying for Tier 1 Dependant because my partner is a Tier 1 holder. All well and good, question -

Can I switch from PSW to Tier 1 Dependant within UK/remaining in UK. I have a job and would like it to happen in UK so I don't have to discontinue my work and cause a havoc with taking unjustified holidays.

Is this possible? Moderators, readers and experts your suggestion will be really helpful.

Thanks

gregshukla
United Kingdom

Re: Advice for Switching to PSW to Tier 1 Dependant

Post by gregshukla » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:35 am

VisaFrenzy wrote:My leave to remain is expiring next week on PSW. I am applying for Tier 1 Dependant because my partner is a Tier 1 holder. All well and good, question -

Can I switch from PSW to Tier 1 Dependant within UK/remaining in UK. I have a job and would like it to happen in UK so I don't have to discontinue my work and cause a havoc with taking unjustified holidays.

Is this possible? Moderators, readers and experts your suggestion will be really helpful.

Thanks
Not possible to switch to from PSW to T1 Dependent in-country. You need to return to your home country and apply for entry clearance there.

gregshukla
United Kingdom

Re: Advice for Switching to PSW to Tier 1 Dependant

Post by gregshukla » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:38 am

gregshukla wrote:
VisaFrenzy wrote:My leave to remain is expiring next week on PSW. I am applying for Tier 1 Dependant because my partner is a Tier 1 holder. All well and good, question -

Thanks
Not possible to switch to from PSW to T1 Dependent in-country. You need to return to your home country and apply for entry clearance there.
See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... dantroute/

VisaFrenzy
Newly Registered

Post by VisaFrenzy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:27 am

gregShukla -

Many thanks for your reply and sending me the link. I don't mean to sound dumb but the link you sent me says - "This page explains the circumstances in which you can apply for permission to stay here as the dependant of someone who is already here in the highly skilled worker category (Tier 1 General) without having to leave the United Kingdom and apply for entry clearance (permission to come to the United Kingdom)."

- a participant in the International Graduates Scheme (or the previous Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme);

This is the PSW isn't it ?? I mean the words should say PSW but isn't SEGS - IGS - PSW is same thing.

If so, then I should be able to switch from UK. Can you please come back to me on this.

I do appreciate your time.

gregshukla
United Kingdom

Post by gregshukla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:55 pm

VisaFrenzy wrote:gregShukla -

Many thanks for your reply and sending me the link. I don't mean to sound dumb but the link you sent me says - "This page explains the circumstances in which you can apply for permission to stay here as the dependant of someone who is already here in the highly skilled worker category (Tier 1 General) without having to leave the United Kingdom and apply for entry clearance (permission to come to the United Kingdom)."

- a participant in the International Graduates Scheme (or the previous Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme);

This is the PSW isn't it ?? I mean the words should say PSW but isn't SEGS - IGS - PSW is same thing.

If so, then I should be able to switch from UK. Can you please come back to me on this.

The paragraph to look out for is this (esp the words in bold):

You can apply for permission to stay here as the dependant of a highly skilled worker without having to leave the United Kingdom and apply for entry clearance if your last grant of entry clearance or permission to stay here was as the partner or child of:

gregshukla
United Kingdom

Post by gregshukla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:56 pm

gregshukla wrote:
VisaFrenzy wrote:gregShukla -

The paragraph to look out for is this (esp the words in bold):

You can apply for permission to stay here as the dependant of a highly skilled worker without having to leave the United Kingdom and apply for entry clearance if your last grant of entry clearance or permission to stay here was as the partner or child of:
And I can tell you from personal experience too that it is not possible. M wife switched from PSW to T1G dependent last month, and she had to go back to home country to do it.

VisaFrenzy
Newly Registered

Post by VisaFrenzy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:38 pm

gregshukla-

I do thank you for taking time to reply and pointing out the evidence to me. It looks like I will have to go back.
Few last questions -

1. How long did it take for your wife to do that?
2. Which form did she fill out coz I am not able to find it?
3. What evidences were requested?

Thank you once again.

gregshukla
United Kingdom

Post by gregshukla » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:24 pm

VisaFrenzy wrote:gregshukla-

I do thank you for taking time to reply and pointing out the evidence to me. It looks like I will have to go back.
Few last questions -

1. How long did it take for your wife to do that?
2. Which form did she fill out coz I am not able to find it?
3. What evidences were requested?

Thank you once again.
1. Depends case by case basis. My wife's visa took 5 working days in VFS Pune (India).
2. and 3. - Please see http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/vafs/

You need "Application form VAF10 - PBS Dependant" and " PBS Dependant guidance notes" on that page.

VisaFrenzy
Newly Registered

Post by VisaFrenzy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Many thanks for your time and patience with my questions.
Good day to you Sir.

I will have to apply it from India however, since currently we are unmarried I will have to show unmarried status.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:02 pm

VisaFrenzy wrote:I will have to apply it from India however, since currently we are unmarried I will have to show unmarried status.
Have you been living together with your partner in a relationship akin to marriage for at least 2 years?

regards

VisaFrenzy
Newly Registered

Post by VisaFrenzy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Yes, we have been living together akin to marriage (over 2 years) but not in the same region currently. She did masters from Plymouth and got HSMP now Tier 1. I did bachelors from Plymouth Uni. After Graduation Both of us were working together in Royal Mail plymouth and living in same house in Plymouth (since 2007). But as you know after my graduation I have been applying jobs and got one in Gloucester. So I had to move up here.
Although, currently she is trying to find a transfer in Bristol Royal Mail branch which has been pending. You see they currently have no positions in Bristol Royal Mail.

Is this a potential problem ?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Maybe or maybe not.

You'll need to provide several evidences of cohabitation during the 2 year period to support your entry clearance application as dependant (unmarried partner) of a Tier 1 (General) migrant. Refer to FRL(M) (Note 8, page 19) or SET(M) (Note 8, page 15) form(s) for examples of documentary evidences to prove cohabitation.

regards

VisaFrenzy
Newly Registered

Post by VisaFrenzy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:11 pm

Sir, I cannot thank you enough for your support and being so helpful and understanding. Many thanks once again. I will have a look at these documents and get back to you. Have a good evening.

PS - please do check back on this post, I might post something more for clarification.