ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU national moving to UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Aulie
Newly Registered

EU national moving to UK

Post by Aulie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:55 pm

Right, so this is my very first post on these boards. I'm unsure as to whether I put it in the right place, but please do move or delete it if not.

I do have a few questions, I shall try to be structured, but I do get carried away sometimes.

Let me sketch the situation briefly:

I am an EU national. I've been in a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend, a British national, for 6 years. The time has come to move on. The next step would be for me to move to the UK.

I do have some savings, I understand that as I've been working for a few years, I could also have my unemployment benefits transferred from Belgium to the UK for 3 months. I also intend to find a job in the UK. Fingers crossed on that one. So I should be self-sufficient for a good while.

However, we've also been considering marriage. Is this possible? Are there any conditions to bear in mind i.e. do I have to be a resident for a certain amount of time etc.

And if it is possible, are there any consequences? Would I be eligible for NHS-health cover or would I still need a private comprehensive health insurance? Would I receive UK-citizenship or are those entirely seperate procedures?

Thirdly, I currently work as a teacher in secondary education. In Belgium, my country of origin, this means I'm also allowed to work as a nursery assistant. However, in the UK one needs an NVQ2 for this. Do I need to apply for such an NVQ or do I automatically receive it? If application is necessary, what is the procedure for this?

Apologies for the many questions (I'm sure more will follow x_x) but thanks in advance for the help!

Aulie

SSEF

Re: EU national moving to UK

Post by SSEF » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Aulie wrote:Right, so this is my very first post on these boards. I'm unsure as to whether I put it in the right place, but please do move or delete it if not.

I do have a few questions, I shall try to be structured, but I do get carried away sometimes.

Let me sketch the situation briefly:

I am an EU national. I've been in a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend, a British national, for 6 years. The time has come to move on. The next step would be for me to move to the UK.

I do have some savings, I understand that as I've been working for a few years, I could also have my unemployment benefits transferred from Belgium to the UK for 3 months. I also intend to find a job in the UK. Fingers crossed on that one. So I should be self-sufficient for a good while.

However, we've also been considering marriage. Is this possible? Are there any conditions to bear in mind i.e. do I have to be a resident for a certain amount of time etc.

And if it is possible, are there any consequences? Would I be eligible for NHS-health cover or would I still need a private comprehensive health insurance? Would I receive UK-citizenship or are those entirely seperate procedures?

Thirdly, I currently work as a teacher in secondary education. In Belgium, my country of origin, this means I'm also allowed to work as a nursery assistant. However, in the UK one needs an NVQ2 for this. Do I need to apply for such an NVQ or do I automatically receive it? If application is necessary, what is the procedure for this?

Apologies for the many questions (I'm sure more will follow x_x) but thanks in advance for the help!

Aulie
1. With regards you marrying your partner, you will have no problem there since you are an EU national and he is British, just varification you have never been married in your home country will be needed (congrats by the way!)

2. You will not be given an NVQ2, this is an earned qualification which you would have to study for - just bring all your education certificates with you to the UK and see how they transfer with UK quals. Im assuming if you are a teacher in secondary education in Belgium your quals are excellent.

3. Regarding unemployment benefits, you would need to be unemployed already in your home country to be able to transfer them, you couldnt just turn up in the UK and say "Im umemployed" and receive benfits from Belgium if you quit your job voluntarily you wont get a penny from your home country and you wont be eligiable for any payments from Britain.

4. You will be eligiable for NHS treatment because you are are a member of the EU - just register with your partners GP when you arrive and you will receive an NHS medical card and you are good to go.

5. I wouldnt bother with British Citizenship if I were you..no real benefit since you enjoy all the rights as a European citizen as you are. After a year of full time gainful employment you will be able to claim unemployment benefits (not you sound the type who's coming here for them)

Good luck and enjoy my little Island :)

Aulie
Newly Registered

Post by Aulie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:31 am

SSEF wrote:1. With regards you marrying your partner, you will have no problem there since you are an EU national and he is British, just varification you have never been married in your home country will be needed (congrats by the way!)

2. You will not be given an NVQ2, this is an earned qualification which you would have to study for - just bring all your education certificates with you to the UK and see how they transfer with UK quals. Im assuming if you are a teacher in secondary education in Belgium your quals are excellent.

3. Regarding unemployment benefits, you would need to be unemployed already in your home country to be able to transfer them, you couldnt just turn up in the UK and say "Im umemployed" and receive benfits from Belgium if you quit your job voluntarily you wont get a penny from your home country and you wont be eligiable for any payments from Britain.

4. You will be eligiable for NHS treatment because you are are a member of the EU - just register with your partners GP when you arrive and you will receive an NHS medical card and you are good to go.

5. I wouldnt bother with British Citizenship if I were you..no real benefit since you enjoy all the rights as a European citizen as you are. After a year of full time gainful employment you will be able to claim unemployment benefits (not you sound the type who's coming here for them)

Thank you!

Concerning NVQ, is there any way I can start the application process from here? I have already had all my education certificates translated.

As for unemployment, as a teacher, my contract automatically ends on June 30th. Having benefits transferred is definitely worth considering then. I'll get some information on this end union for that.

And I wasn't intending on getting citizenship. I like being Belgian. ;) I was worried about automatically receiving it and I'd rather not for the time being. But that's not the case, so no worries there. n_n

Thanks for all the help!

SSEF

Post by SSEF » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:32 pm

Aulie wrote:
SSEF wrote:1. With regards you marrying your partner, you will have no problem there since you are an EU national and he is British, just varification you have never been married in your home country will be needed (congrats by the way!)

Thank you!

Concerning NVQ, is there any way I can start the application process from here? I have already had all my education certificates translated.

As for unemployment, as a teacher, my contract automatically ends on June 30th. Having benefits transferred is definitely worth considering then. I'll get some information on this end union for that.

And I wasn't intending on getting citizenship. I like being Belgian. ;) I was worried about automatically receiving it and I'd rather not for the time being. But that's not the case, so no worries there. n_n

Thanks for all the help!
Hi :) You're welcome :)

If you look at this links below they will give you all the info you require about quals for teaching in the UK and how to get the quals - I will just pre warn you, the money is very very low for nursery nurse positions (about 14k was the best I saw on one particular site).

http://www.teachers-uk.co.uk/candidates/nurse/qual.php

http://www.cache.org.uk/cacheDNN/Default.aspx?tabid=103

Have a look at this forum they discuss NVQ4 and they'll probably be able to help you decide if you need it or not.

http://www.nurserynurseforum.com/forum/ ... ?f=8&t=480

Regarding benefits I had a quick look on a Belgian site, its certainly a more fair system - in the UK doesnt matter if you have worked for 30 years as a Managing Director earning £100k or never worked at all, you get the same the princely sum of £64 per week! Who ever thinks the UK is the land of milk and honey must be mad!

As for British Citizenship I dont blame you, BC lost its real meaning a few years ago..I actually hate being referred to as British, Im English :D

Cheers

S

Aulie
Newly Registered

Post by Aulie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm not making much more as a teacher at the moment to be honest.

I haven't a clue how much unemployment I'd get here. Haven't been unemployed a single day. :D

Nursery nurse is my back-up plan. I adore teaching, and I'd very much prefer continuing that, but I have to be realistic. Having studied Dutch (no one cares about that in the UK), History (completely different curriculum) and EFL(hardly any fulltime positions), it's not going to be easy to find a teaching job.
Doesn't mean I'm not trying though. I'm currently looking into QTS-registration.

I wish all these sites wouldn't baffle me with legalese and mad abbreviations. Takes months of studying to make anything of it. n_n"

Enough ranting though, no more questions from me at the moment. I feel slightly reassured now. Thanks so much!

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:16 pm

I have good news for you. Look at this site:

http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching ... ramme.aspx#

SSEF

Post by SSEF » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Aulie wrote:I'm not making much more as a teacher at the moment to be honest.

I haven't a clue how much unemployment I'd get here. Haven't been unemployed a single day. :D

Nursery nurse is my back-up plan. I adore teaching, and I'd very much prefer continuing that, but I have to be realistic. Having studied Dutch (no one cares about that in the UK), History (completely different curriculum) and EFL(hardly any fulltime positions), it's not going to be easy to find a teaching job.
Doesn't mean I'm not trying though. I'm currently looking into QTS-registration.

I wish all these sites wouldn't baffle me with legalese and mad abbreviations. Takes months of studying to make anything of it. n_n"

Enough ranting though, no more questions from me at the moment. I feel slightly reassured now. Thanks so much!
Well if you get in to teaching secondary, you'll be looking at double a nursery nurse teachers salary (and some), teachers are paid pretty okay in the UK my friends sister is a deputy head and earns £70k a year..

The link provided by the poster above is definately good news for you.