ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help needed please!

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gika
Newly Registered

Help needed please!

Post by gika » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:06 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, and from what I've read so far, I beleive this is where I can find answers!

I am a visa national, I came int the USA on a B1/B2 visa, but at the point of entry, the immigration officer stamped my visa page & departure card with " no EOS or COS" she says I cant extend or change my status while here and the validity is until 31st march! :!:
I am currently in a relationship with a USC, and we plan to get married.My questions to this forum are

1. If we get married, can I change my status while I am present in the USA? or will I definitely have to go back to my country to apply from there?

2. How does the no EOS or COS affect my chances if I apply in country?Will I be seen as an illegal immigrant?

3. If I overstay past the 31st of March and I definitely have to go back to my home country to apply for a wife visa from there, will I be banned from entering the USA due to overstaying?

4. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go about changing my status while remaining legal in this country :?:

I look forward to hearing back from members of this forum regarding my plight. Thank you in advance for your help. :?

sb85
Newly Registered

Post by sb85 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:21 am

Basically, EOS and COS mean EXACTLY what they say.

While in the US on that visa, you cannot extend your stay, nor can you change your status. If you attempt to do either, your application will be rejected on the spot.

Your only option is to go back to your home country and reapply for a fiancee visa there, then come back and get married.

FromThere2Here

Post by FromThere2Here » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:07 am

Whatever you do, don't overstay and don't get married while in the US.

If you overstay, you'll jeopardize your ability to ever get an immigrant visa -- even after you get married.

The same holds true for getting married in the US. If you do this, immigration authorities will assume that you lied when you entered the country -- that you entered with the intention of marrying.

The only way to handle this is to return to your home country and get a fiance visa. (Start the process by contacting the US embassy in your home country.) Once you are granted the visa and enter the US, you will have 90 days to marry. If you marry within those 90 days, you will receive a green card.

Good luck.