ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I Have an Irish Passport, Been in UK for 25 Years, Question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

devster
Newly Registered

I Have an Irish Passport, Been in UK for 25 Years, Question

Post by devster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Hi there,

I am a bit confused about my situation, as always. I was wondering if someone could help me.

I have an Irish passport, therefore I am an Irish citizen. I came to the UK in 1987 (4 then, 29 now). I have studied until 21 and worked ever since. I have my National Insurance number. Basically been a normal member of society.

On the VAF4 form they have the following questions:

Sponsor’s permission to live in the UK?
When did they get this permission?

Since I am not technically a British citizen, when applying for a fiancée visa with my Japanese girlfriend, how do I prove I have permission to live in the UK?

Is being a EU national enough?

I'd really appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks in advance.

tacka
Newly Registered

Post by tacka » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:31 am

If you're an Irish national, isn't it going to have to be the EEA route?

I've just read fiance visa doesn't apply to the EEA route.
http://www.ukvs.jp/service.php#citizen1 (Japanese -give link to your GF)

The official UKvisa does not refer to fiancée visa, but does to unmarried partners:
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... s#23094897
Unmarried partners may also be considered as extended family members. We will consider applications for unmarried partners to join you if you are a qualified person in the UK and they meet the requirements for entry by extended family members who are unmarried partners. In particular, they must be able to show that they are in a durable relationship with you.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:54 pm

tacka wrote:If you're an Irish national, isn't it going to have to be the EEA route?
I believe that an Irish national is deemed as settled in the UK on arrival.

Moreover, an EEA citizen may also automatically acquire permanent residence after 5 years.

So, you should have a choice under the UK immigration rules or the EEA regulations.
tacka wrote:I've just read fiance visa doesn't apply to the EEA route
Not correct.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tacka
Newly Registered

Post by tacka » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:20 pm

Apologies for the incorrect information.

vinny, thank you for the link. It will help me a lot as I am planning to marry a EEA national myself.

I understand you can apply for the entry clearance as a fiancee of an EEA national, with a certain fee.

devster, sorry for the interruption.

JAJ
Australia

Re: I Have an Irish Passport, Been in UK for 25 Years, Quest

Post by JAJ » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:14 am

devster wrote:Hi there,

I am a bit confused about my situation, as always. I was wondering if someone could help me.

I have an Irish passport, therefore I am an Irish citizen. I came to the UK in 1987 (4 then, 29 now). I have studied until 21 and worked ever since. I have my National Insurance number. Basically been a normal member of society.

On the VAF4 form they have the following questions:

Sponsor’s permission to live in the UK?
When did they get this permission?

Since I am not technically a British citizen, when applying for a fiancée visa with my Japanese girlfriend, how do I prove I have permission to live in the UK?
As far as I understand the fact you are an Irish citizen living in the UK is sufficient. You have the choice between national and EEA immigration rules, however the EEA route has disadvantages - notably longer processing times, and a longer wait for permanent residence.

Out of interest - if you have lived all your life in Britain, and presumably see it as your home, has it ever occurred to you to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen?