ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 extension spouse dilemma!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

blackwheels
Newly Registered

Tier 1 extension spouse dilemma!

Post by blackwheels » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi,

I have a Tier 1 (general) that I will be extending in 2 months. I got married a year ago and my wife is on a work permit. She does not satisfy the tier 1 points and my question is, can I apply for her as my spouse. I think this will fall under tier 1 dependant, even though she is independent.

IF anyone has been in a similar situation or knows more please can you let me know if this works and does this have any consequences when I (we) apply for ILR in 2 years.

Thanks

push
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 1 extension spouse dilemma!

Post by push » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:56 pm

blackwheels wrote:Hi,

I have a Tier 1 (general) that I will be extending in 2 months. I got married a year ago and my wife is on a work permit. She does not satisfy the tier 1 points and my question is, can I apply for her as my spouse. I think this will fall under tier 1 dependant, even though she is independent.

IF anyone has been in a similar situation or knows more please can you let me know if this works and does this have any consequences when I (we) apply for ILR in 2 years.

Thanks
She has to go back to her home country and apply as your (Tier-1) dependant.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

blackwheels
Newly Registered

Post by blackwheels » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi Push,

I am surprised that even though she is in the UK and working for the past 3 years on a work permit, she now has to go back to our home country and apply for a tier1 (general). That means she has to take an extended leave from work, given the application times.
Would this also be the case (assuming rules remain same) if she continues to stay on her current work permit and apply with me for ILR after 2 years.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:53 am

blackwheels wrote:Hi Push,

I am surprised that even though she is in the UK and working for the past 3 years on a work permit, she now has to go back to our home country and apply for a tier1 (general). That means she has to take an extended leave from work, given the application times.
Would this also be the case (assuming rules remain same) if she continues to stay on her current work permit and apply with me for ILR after 2 years.
She is in UK but not as your dependent. She can apply for ILR independently when she completes 5 years on her main visa. In order to apply with you she has to have your dependent's status.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer