ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Dependant to Student Visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dilshanuk
Newly Registered

Student Dependant to Student Visa

Post by dilshanuk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi All,

I am on a Student Dependant (got it in 2008) (on my passport it says "Student Dependant Visa") not Tier-4 PBS visa.

Can I switch to full time student visa from within the country, if I have to study at a university or do I have to go back and re-apply from my country of origin ?

Will be grateful for your reply and assistance
Thanks !

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:53 pm

No, because your current visa is not one of the relevent categories below:

245ZX. Requirements for leave to remain
To qualify for leave to remain as a Tier 4 (General) Student under this rule, an applicant must meet the requirements listed below. If the applicant meets these requirements, leave to remain will be granted. If the applicant does not meet these requirements, the applicant will be refused.

Requirements:

(a) The applicant must not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal and must not be an illegal entrant.

(b) The applicant must have, or have last been granted, entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain:

(i) as a Tier 4 (General) Student,

(ii) as a Tier 4 (Child) Student,

(iii) as a Tier 1 (Post-study Work) Migrant,

(iv) as a Tier 2 Migrant,

(v) as a Participant in the International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor, the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme),

(vi) as a Participant in the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme,

(vii) as a Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist,

(viii) as a Prospective Student,

(ix) as a Student,

(x) as a Student Nurse,

(xi) as a Student Re-sitting an Examination,

(xii) as a Student Writing-Up a Thesis,

(xiii) as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer, or

(xiv) as a Work Permit Holder.

litu1

Post by litu1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Greenie wrote:No, because your current visa is not one of the relevent categories below:

245ZX. Requirements for leave to remain
To qualify for leave to remain as a Tier 4 (General) Student under this rule, an applicant must meet the requirements listed below. If the applicant meets these requirements, leave to remain will be granted. If the applicant does not meet these requirements, the applicant will be refused.

Requirements:

(a) The applicant must not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal and must not be an illegal entrant.

(b) The applicant must have, or have last been granted, entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain:

(i) as a Tier 4 (General) Student,

(ii) as a Tier 4 (Child) Student,

(iii) as a Tier 1 (Post-study Work) Migrant,

(iv) as a Tier 2 Migrant,

(v) as a Participant in the International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor, the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme),

(vi) as a Participant in the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme,

(vii) as a Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist,

(viii) as a Prospective Student,

(ix) as a Student,

(x) as a Student Nurse,

(xi) as a Student Re-sitting an Examination,

(xii) as a Student Writing-Up a Thesis,

(xiii) as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer, or

(xiv) as a Work Permit Holder.
Are you sure about Tier 2/ Work permit holder ? In my case, I had to go back to my country of origin to change my visa from work permit to Student. I had contacted to the Home office about it and they told me I can't switch from work permit to student in country, although it was a while ago. I'm not sure if they have changed the rule.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 pm

[quote="litu1Are you sure about Tier 2/ Work permit holder ? In my case, I had to go back to my country of origin to change my visa from work permit to Student. I had contacted to the Home office about it and they told me I can't switch from work permit to student in country, although it was a while ago. I'm not sure if they have changed the rule.[/quote]

I've just quoted from the Immigration Rules on the UKBA website, so yes am confident that this is the case as of today. Don't know if this was not the case previously though