ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residence on A4

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

olujay25

Permanent residence on A4

Post by olujay25 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi everyone,
Firstly i want to thank God and this forum for all the advice i was given especially from the genius Obie. I received my permanent residence today but it was issued on A4 paper and not my passport they still got my passport. Is this their new thing now. I rang them and the guy who answered the phone said i should wait another two to three weeks before i start enquring about my passport's where about because he hasnt got anything on his screen to say anything was posted to me,That my documents are still with the dispatching team.I am confused any ideas anyone please or anybody with similar experience.
Thank you all once again.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:32 pm

It seems to be unusual that they would issue it on a separate sheet when they have the passport. I would say it is not typical but I recall some reports here recently with similar experiences.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Has the passport expired?

Agree unusual for them to issue separately as they only usually do this if you don't provide a passport.

olujay25

Post by olujay25 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:09 pm

No the passport is still in date. I am thinking of sending an email tonight to see what is going on.

olujay25

Post by olujay25 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:32 am

passport is still in date and expiring 2014. Anyone with similar experience please share.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:43 am

The problem is that the passport will almost always expire much earlier than the renewal date of the Permanent Residence Card. When you get a new passport, some countries take the old passport back, others make it unusable by punching big holes in it; in either case the (Permanent) Residence Card in the old passport is no longer usable and you have to apply for a new one, and we know the UKBA processing times...
For exactly this reason the European Commission have expressed their preference for (Permanent) Residence Cards to be issued separate from the passport. However, for the physical implementation they were thinking about something like a photocard driving licence (creditcard format). The A4 piece of paper that UKBA uses for these Immigration Status Documents may be better for archiving, it is not so handy to carry with you while travelling.

easy77

Post by easy77 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi, my cousin had a similar experience last year. He sent them a letter and they replied that they are sorry and they have seen his passport nd that he should send the A4 paper back, so his passport can be endorsed. This he did and within a month he received the passport with endorsed PR in it. Its not a big issue, its just carelessness on the part of HO as they keep miss placing people's documents.

olujay25

Post by olujay25 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks for yor response easy77 i have sent them a letter,email,fax and rang the customer service who told me they are looking for it so i am waiting for their response. I really wants it endorsed on my passport and not on a silly A4 paper which can be lost easilly.
Thanks anyway.

giardaella
BANNED

Post by giardaella » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:46 pm

Can't a passport be lost???

It's more of looking official if it's in your passport and applying for Schengen visas as many countries wouldn't accept an A4 print. France requests it to be endorsed in ur passport.

Anyway, can u describe if that A4 paper is thicker than normal or has water marks (seen under the light) etc??? Or is it just an ordinary A4 with your card on it.

Can anyone actually attach an image here of such an A4 PR card, obviously editing all the personal data out.

Thx

olujay25 wrote: I really wants it endorsed on my passport and not on a silly A4 paper which can be lost easilly.
Thanks anyway.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:03 pm

To me it seems just a plain A4 sheet, with the (Permanent) Residence Card as a sticker (the same sticker that otherwise would be put in the passport) in one corner. You can fold it twice and then it is about the same size as a passport.
Unfortunately this forum does apparently not allow to attach documents or images to postings.
Quite a few EU-member states do issue a (P)RC as a plastic card (like a creditcard) separate from the passport, so it is strange that this would cause problems for visa applications, even though the UKBA implementation of a stand-alone document is rather clumsy.

olujay25

Post by olujay25 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 pm

The fax number is 01512131514.

olujay25

Post by olujay25 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:54 pm

If it was issued like a credit card type like they do in Canada it will be better but this A4 paper just looks like I have nothing felt like it's not real after the stress and sleepless nights it just feel disappointing, don't get me wrong am glad and grateful that I now have PR.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:25 am

fysicus wrote:Unfortunately this forum does apparently not allow to attach documents or images to postings.
Just upload it of to one of the myriad free picture services out there and then link it here. You could upload it to wikimedia for instance (and then link it to the existing article on the residence card on the Wikipedia).

littleone
Newly Registered

Post by littleone » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:06 pm

olujay25 wrote:passport is still in date and expiring 2014. Anyone with similar experience please share.
Have waited for 4.5 month, got my passport back from home office. Settlement has been granted but my passport is not endorsed. Instead, i have been given a piece of A4 paper called immigration Status Document. Very confused as my passport is still valid until 2018 with loads of blank pages available for stamps/ endorsement.

Googled online found out this : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

What is going on?!?!

littleone
Newly Registered

Post by littleone » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:27 pm

easy77 wrote:Hi, my cousin had a similar experience last year. He sent them a letter and they replied that they are sorry and they have seen his passport nd that he should send the A4 paper back, so his passport can be endorsed. This he did and within a month he received the passport with endorsed PR in it. Its not a big issue, its just carelessness on the part of HO as they keep miss placing people's documents.
Thanks for your post.

May I ask that did home office ask for any extra document or extra charge and how long took them to get back to your cousin with the endorsed passport?

Stefan-TR

Post by Stefan-TR » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:49 pm

littleone wrote:Googled online found out this : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

What is going on?!?!
This is not related. The document you found on Google refers to Asylum cases only. The quote you're interested in is on the UKBA webpage: "If you are not an EEA national and (for any reason) we do not have your passport when we decide your application, or your passport expires while in our possession, we will issue you with an immigration status document instead of an endorsement in your passport. You should produce this document and your passport as evidence of your status when asked to do so."

Sometimes they seem to issue the A4 papers even though they have a non-expired passport. It might just be sloppiness on their side...

Nala1
Newly Registered

Post by Nala1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:30 am

We're in the same situation, just received my husband's passport back with residence card on a separate A4 sheet.... Not sure what to do about this, only received it today so will call the border agency on Monday. But it just doesn't feel right having it on a separate sheet, can just imagine the trouble it will cause when travelling.... And my husbands passport is still valid for well over the expiry date of the permit..... So weird they would do it this way when they had the passport there ,and it was expired or isn't going to be expired either....

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:27 pm

How can ur hubbys passport Be valid past a ten year PR card? Let alone be "well over" over its validity? :)))))) is it some kind of eternal passport? Unless the passport for which the PR card was issued hasnt been isssued yet itself and wont be for some time... ;) as far as i know, noone issues passports longer than 5-10 years, so in any case the passport will always expire before the 10 years on PR card! This is not the case though is it? The card can be equally used in the expired passport together with the new one if the same card is valid with the new passport when on skme A4 paper! What is easier to forge, an expired passport or an A4 paper?

Nala1 wrote:We're in the same situation, just received my husband's passport back with residence card on a separate A4 sheet.... Not sure what to do about this, only received it today so will call the border agency on Monday. But it just doesn't feel right having it on a separate sheet, can just imagine the trouble it will cause when travelling.... And my husbands passport is still valid for well over the expiry date of the permit..... So weird they would do it this way when they had the passport there ,and it was expired or isn't going to be expired either....

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:31 pm

mcovet wrote:as far as i know, noone issues passports longer than 5-10 years
Some countries extend passports.

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:19 pm

That's not what the woman said, she said it IS valid like now over the validity of pr. Also, as far as i'm concerned only those valid for 5 years can be ext to maximum of 10

86ti wrote:
mcovet wrote:as far as i know, noone issues passports longer than 5-10 years
Some countries extend passports.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:28 pm

mcovet wrote:That's not what the woman said, she said it IS valid like now over the validity of pr. Also, as far as i'm concerned only those valid for 5 years can be ext to maximum of 10.
Well, only Nala1 can tell us what was meant...

You would need to explain why recently Schengen rules have changed to not accept passports anymore which were issued more than ten years before application.

littleone
Newly Registered

Post by littleone » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Nala1 wrote:We're in the same situation, just received my husband's passport back with residence card on a separate A4 sheet.... Not sure what to do about this, only received it today so will call the border agency on Monday.
I had rang them and was told there has been a mistake involved somewhere. And I was also told to write a letter to the case worker for explanation. So I did and now just have wait for the reply.

What was your hubby applying for?

olujay25

Post by olujay25 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Hia all,
I received a letter today from the Border agency that they have lost my passports Because i sent them two passports my old and new one, that if i want a new one that i should apply to Nigeria high commission in London for a new one and then send the receipt to them for compensation but on ringing the Nigerian embassy i was told that i have to go back to Nigeria to apply for replacement passport because the new e-passport replacement can only be issued in Nigeria. My problem is i havent got any money at the moment to go to Nigeria just because of applying for a new replacement passport. Can the Border Agency pay any compensation if i give them itemised bill of what its going to cost me to apply for a replacement after all is them who lost my passports and i have no intention of going to Nigeria at the moment but on the other hand i need a passport.I feel like a stateless person at the moment with the permanent resident on A4 paper,Please dont get me wrong i do appreciate having a permanent resident.
Any ideas or advice please.

olujay25

Post by olujay25 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:45 am

any idea or advice anyone please

mimine30

A4

Post by mimine30 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:46 pm

does any of those received an ISD on A4 did supplies 2 photographes for them and thiers parteners?