ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Retaing the right of Residence or EEA4

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dukkumeah
Newly Registered

Retaing the right of Residence or EEA4

Post by dukkumeah » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:52 am

Hi Guys and thanks for creating such a nice forum.

I have read many posts in the forum and I am in the same situation as many.
I would appreciate you sincere help as I am in unbearable situation.
Here is my story...

I am a non EEA married to my EEA wife.
I came to the UK in Oct 2004 and married to my wife since April 2007.
My wife is exercising her treaty right since June 2006.

During our marriage we both didn’t work for 14 months.

We have a daughter of 3 years old and my wife sent our daughter to my mother in law and currently being looked after by her which i totally disagree.

We lived together until July 2010 and now separate.
My wife is in the UK now and in full time work, same as me.

She is planning to apply for PR in coming June.

She is insisting me to divorce her which I really want but worried about my daughter and my status.

I can’t trust she will be willing to help with document if we stay together until Apr2012( our marriage will be 5 years)

My questions are....
1) Will my wife get PR ?( as she did not work for 14 months)
2) Will I get PR if we don’t divorce?
3) What will happen to me if she doesn’t get PR? (as married)
4) Can I retain my right of residence if I divorce her ( I really want as she abusing me)
5) Which way is better stay together of give divorce for the purpose of immigration matter?
6) What can I do for my daughter? ( I pay my wife every months for looking after my daughter)
7) Should I wait to see the outcome of her application when she apply for PR in coming June?

Please help me someone with constructive advice!

sjimoh112

Stay on

Post by sjimoh112 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm sorry to hear your situation. Without a doubt this is an unbearable situation for you.

What I can say is hang-on to her for the moment, stay in the marriage even if she abuses you, it's very hard but it will worth the pain at the end of the day when you hopefully get your pr.

Check below for answers to your question- this is to the best of my knowledge at the moment. And have a look at the ukba website. There you will know where you stand as it shows all you need to know and even the law that guide the ukba is there. Do a thorough research on their website.

1. Did she resort to public funds while she wasn't working? If she did, that could be a problem.

2. You can get you pr if you're still in the marriage or at least pretend to be as the ukba won't find out what's going-on except one of you tell them.

3. I am not sure on thus one. I will suggest you get a good solicitor's opiNion on this one. As far as I'm concern, since she's an eea national she will still have the right to live and work here but probably will struggle to get pr. As for you I don't think it should affect you, but get advice.

4. You wouldn't have the right to residence as you're no longer in the relationship- the reason why you got the rc in the first place. And you can't claim 'human right act article 8 on family live' because your child is very young and not in a relationship with her mother.

5. I reckon your best option now is to stay together as this is the easiest way to get your pr. Once you get that you can do whatever you want. For now you have to be very submissive to your wife authority.

6. You don't have a choice but to support your daughter until you sort out your immigration matter then you can decide to fight for custody if that what you want.

7. Yes it is important you wait and see the outcome of her pr. As this will give you a clearer idea what could happen in your case. Be patience and pray to God.

Best wishes

dukkumeah
Newly Registered

Post by dukkumeah » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:18 am

Thank you Sjimoh112 for your valuable time and advice.

For your question 1 what law says is as below..
Regulation 1612/68 Article 7, Council Directive 2004/38 and Regulation 6 of the EEA
Regulations 2006 are the principal references.
1.1 Key points

• Under EC law a person from another Member State who is exercising Treaty rights in
the United Kingdom enjoys the same social and tax advantages as a British citizen.

• Under Directive 2004/38, an EEA national and his/her non-EEA family members may
reside legally in the UK if the EEA national is working or self-employed or has a right
of permanent residence. This is also subject to them not becoming a burden on
public funds.

• In some circumstances EEA nationals may claim public funds and retain their right of
residence under EC law (eg 'top-up' benefits for low-paid or part-time workers,
persons who are involuntarily unemployed etc).

• It is important to remember that the Home office does not decide whether an EEA
national qualifies for benefits or for local authority housing. We can only advise
whether an EEA national has a right of residence.

2. we are married but living separately. But European regulation doesn’t require the couple to live together for whole of their marriage life( minimum is 1 year)

3. It seems to me that if my wife doesn’t get PR and we live together , HO will give me 5 more years RC. According to the rules they don’t have any option as my wife is working and will do which again make her qualified person.

4. Just for your information and I want to be clear about the law. Please have a look below...

6. Retention of the right of Residence
Directive 2004/38 has incorporated ECJ caselaw such as Baumbast and Diatta to allow non-EEA nationals family members to retain the right of residence.
There are now a number of circumstances in which non-EEA national family members of EEA nationals may retain their right of residence in the UK if the EEA national leaves the UK or dies or the relevant marriage or civil partnership is terminated These circumstances are set out in regulation 10 of the 2006 Regulations.

6.1 Retention of the right of residence following divorce or annulment of marriage/dissolution of civil partnership

person who ceases to be a family member of a qualified person on termination of a marriage or civil partnership will retain a right of residence if:

a1)the marriage or partnership lasted for at least three years immediately before the initiation of proceedings for divorce, annulment or dissolution, and

b1)the parties to the marriage or civil partnership had resided in the UK for at least one year during the duration of the marriage or civil partnership, or

c1)the former spouse or civil partner of the qualified person has custody of the children or a right of access to the children in the UK, or

d1)there are particularly difficult circumstances (such as domestic violence) justifying the retention of the right of residence.

In such circumstances a family member retains a right of residence if:
(a) S/he is a non-EEA national but is pursuing activity which would make him/her a worker or a self-employed person if s/he were an EEA national,

(b) S/he is a self-sufficient person, or

(c) S/he is the family member of a person in the UK who is either a worker, self-employed, or is a self-sufficient person.

See Regulation 10(5) of the 2006 Regulations for more information.

If I divorce now I can retain the right of residence as I meet condition a1,b1,c1 of 6.1 and a) I am employed at present.
On your answer of 4,5,6 I agree with you but worried if my wife changes her mind and doesn’t want to help me, Then I will have no way to go.
This is why I want to dissolve our marriage asap.
I really appreciate your advice and please don’t hesitate to write what you think about the points that I mentioned above.

Thanking you
Dukkumeah

fhumbert

Post by fhumbert » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:54 pm

As a side note, as you are married to the child's mother, under the law of England and Wales, you can withhold your consent to remove the child from the jurisdiction of England and Wales.
In other words, your wife cannot take your child out of England/Wales without your consent. This holds provided you retain your parental rights ? Is that so ?

Assuming that you were living in England or Wales, I suggest you immediately write a letter to your wife (recorded delivery) politely explaining that you demand that your child be returned to England/Wales without delay.

Failure to act on this warning may be construed as child kidnapping. There is the Hague convention that regulates that sort of thing amongst its signatories. Many countries have fortunately signed this convention.
There are many cases in this area of the law that have been thoroughly tested in English courts. It is rock solid. Of course, further down the road, your wife could override you by applying for a court order. However, such a process is fraught with difficulties for the petitioner. The court's overarching concern is the child's welfare. A court would frown upon the fact that the child has been sent to the grandmother and is neither with the mother nor the father.

In which country is your child at the moment ? In which country was the child born ? When was the child born ?
What is your country of citizenship ? What is your wife's country of citizenship ? What is the child's citizenship ?

Of course I am not you, but if I were, I would take care of the situation with my child before I worry about my immigration status.

dukkumeah
Newly Registered

Post by dukkumeah » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:41 am

Thank you Fhumbert for your advice.
I never ever wanted my daughter to be away from me. but I cant explain you the story.

What i can say my wife prefers money, enjoyment then my daughter.

my daughter were born in uk September 2007.
I am in the uk now and my daughter in another european country.

I am a Non european and my wife is European-A8.

Can I take any legal action to bring my daughter to UK? I will do that by all means to have my daughter with me.

Thanks again

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:24 pm

http://www.officialsolicitor.gov.uk/os/ ... andled.htm

gives some good clear information bout your child issue
pennyless