ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EAA2 application - health insurance covered by NI?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

modemfish
Newly Registered

EAA2 application - health insurance covered by NI?

Post by modemfish » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:09 am

So i'm British been living/working in Netherlands 4.5 years with my wife (non-EU)Malaysian and as i still fully paid into the uk National Insurance we obtained full medical cover in the Netherlands. Now we plan to settle in the UK and are starting applying for a family permit for my wife.
As part of the application does my wife need to take out a comprehensive medical insurance cover for the application or will she be covered via my NI contributions?
regards Mike

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: EAA2 application - health insurance covered by NI?

Post by 86ti » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:12 am

modemfish wrote:will she be covered via my NI contributions?
Yes.

Stefan-TR

Re: EAA2 application - health insurance covered by NI?

Post by Stefan-TR » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 am

modemfish wrote:As part of the application does my wife need to take out a comprehensive medical insurance cover for the application or will she be covered via my NI contributions?
Just to avoid misunderstanding regarding NI. The British NHS is not paid for by NI contributions, it is paid from general taxation. So paying NI and being entitled to the NHS have nothing to do with each other.

For EEA applications health insurance only matters when the EEA national claims treaty rights as a self-sufficient person. In that case he needs to provide Comprehensive Sickness Cover for which the UKBA currently don't accept a NHS entitelment. If the EEA national is a worker or other qualified person, CSC doesn't matter.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:54 am

The NHS is partially funded by NI contributions.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:14 pm

And to be totally clear on this the NHS's requirement for cover is to be ordinarily resident even though the UKBA sees that differently for self-sufficient persons. Given, however, that the OP is a returning citizen he should be able to return under the Eind ruling which would mean that all he need to show is that he was economically active in NL. That's the theory. In practice, work/sufficient funds may be still asked for by the UKBA.

modemfish
Newly Registered

Post by modemfish » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:53 pm

In my particular situation i was on expat assignment in the NL and
will just be continuing the same employment with my employer in the UK.