ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EU (Thai) Girlfriend Options

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

6008735rd
Newly Registered

Non EU (Thai) Girlfriend Options

Post by 6008735rd » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:33 pm

I have an Asian girlfriend, who I have been with for 8 months after meeting her during the summer. I have since been back to Thailand to visit her two times. It has now reached the point where it is impractical to keep doing this, both for emotional & financial reasons.

Having looked at the visa options for her, I have a few questions that I would be extremely grateful if those in the know could answer.

I'll give you the background first. She has no savings to speak of, no job, no property, but some land in the North of Thailand, worth about £4000-5000. There has been no recent activity in her bank account. She also has a son and family who live in the North, and she is currently living in Bangkok. We speak all day every day (work, sleep & friends permitting), have photos of each visit (including the first one), and hundreds of emails as proof of our relationship. I also have emails from Western Union showing that I have sent her money. When she comes, I would be able to get my parents to be her sponsor.

I realise that from the info above it appears that I am being taken for a mug, but all I can say is please do not judge.

The questions I have:

What would be the best visa for her to apply for?

The ones that I have narrowed it down to are; Visitor/Tourist or visiting friends, or an unmarried/Fiancée visa.

Obviously the Visitor one would be the best, but as they require the visitor to have strong ties to their country of origin (e.g. a job, or property), I'm not sure that she would meet their criteria. Perhaps her son and land she owns would be enough?

are the fiancée visa and unmarried partner visa the same thing? I understand that she has to meet this a1 English test, which I hope wouldn't be much of a problem, as she can hold a good conversation, only struggling when there are words used that she hasn't heard. What other requirements are there to gain this type of visa? also, how long does a fiancée visa last, and if it reaches the end and we were not married, can you then extend it, or renew it at a later date.

I guess what I really want to know, is what visa we should press on and apply for, and whether my concerns about her not meeting the requirements for the Tourist/Visitor visa are justified.

One final thing, after applying, how long is it likely to take to be approved, and once it is approved, can she travel here straight away?

I know there is a lot in there, so I really would appreciate any advice or answers that people could give me.

Rob

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:25 pm

An unmarried partner visa would not be applicable as you haven't lived together in a relationship 'akin to marriage' for a minimum of 2 years.
If you intend to marry and apply for a fiancee visa, you would have to marry within 6 months and then apply for Further Leave to Remain spouse visa from within the UK giving a 2 year extension. You would be expected to show evidence of planning for the wedding when you submit the initial fiancee visa application.
If the marriage failed to take place within the 6 month term, an extension would only be granted under extreme circumstances.

6008735rd
Newly Registered

Post by 6008735rd » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:40 pm

Cheers. That has kind of ruled out the fiancee route then, as we don't want to rush things. What is your opinion on the likelihood of her getting being successful with the Tourist visa, considering her lack of job, savings & property?

Thanks again for your answer.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:16 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.