ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application form - place of issue?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aix

Passport application form - place of issue?

Post by aix » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:47 pm

Section 5 of UK passport applicaton asks for place of issue of the naturalisation certificate. What should I put there, London / the name of the council / HO / etc?

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:29 pm

I put down Home Office London as it said on my naturalisation cert and it seemed to go through OK.
Others seem to have put the place where they had the ceremony and that seems OK too. In any case you give the certificate number at the same time so thee is little scope for confusion.

I suspect it is only matters if the certificate was issued outside the UK otherwise you can just put either.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:37 pm

Lemess, I think that is right, either will do. My wife put down "Birmingham" as that was where the certificate was handed to her at her Citizenship Ceremony. Passport issued ... no problem.

As you say, from the certificate number they can clearly track it on their computer system.
John

basis

Post by basis » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:45 pm

John / Lemess - i had put Homeoffice UK and it went ok.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:55 pm

I think this has come up before, and I looked into it at the time (although don't ask me where!!). The answer is that all certificates issued by the Home Office are nominally issued in London
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:05 pm

I had the same doubt, but as I was doing it in person, the lady at the Passport Office filled in "Home Office London" for me. Rogerio.

aix

Post by aix » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:44 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've just put "London".

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:46 am

ppron747 wrote:I think this has come up before, and I looked into it at the time (although don't ask me where!!). The answer is that all certificates issued by the Home Office are nominally issued in London
Maybe the reason they ask the question is some people may have been registered or naturalised as a British citizen under non-Home Office processes (eg in the Channel Islands/Isle of Man, in Hong Kong or Gibraltar, by a High Commission prior to 1983 etc).

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:54 am

I'm sure this is the case - as you know, the place of registration/ naturalisation can make a world of difference.

It is just irritating that either the PAF or the Certificate of Registration / Naturalisation haven't been fixed to remove doubts as to what to put when you're asked a simple question like "Where were you naturalised?"....

It's not exactly brain surgery, is it? :)
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....