ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiscal Year in UK and Salary paid date

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hydviv
Newly Registered

Fiscal Year in UK and Salary paid date

Post by hydviv » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:48 am

Folks,
I did quite a search in this forum for knowing the exact dates of Fiscal Year in UK but didn't quite find it.
Is it from April 01 to March 31? or Jan 01 to Dec 31?
in Few websites I see it's April 6th till Apr5th Next year., But that sounds weird though!!

My second query is when will typically Salary be paid to the employee post taxes.. Is it like last working day of the month like in India or will it be the begining of the next month?

I'm planning to join a job in March 2011 this year and thus these 2 answers mean a whole lot for me.

If the Fiscal Year is Apr to March like in India., My whole March salary + Joining Relocation bonus whatsoever will all be non taxable as the amount earned in March is far less than 6.4K minimum Taxable amount for the year in UK.

Again if the amount is paid on April 1st than on March 31st., if that gets considered in Fiscal Year 2011-2012 all that advantage would be lost!!

BTW, I have posted in one more Subject on an 45K offer in Bordon Hampshire., and now am into the lines of taking that.

Regards,
Hydviv

Mesam6

Post by Mesam6 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi,

Congrats on taking that job Hydviv. I am sure you will enjoy your time in UK. I will be joining my company in Southampton in April. Still waiting for the employment contract to come in through the mail :(

I think the salary is paid after deducting taxes and is paid at the end of the period.

Regards,
Mesam.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi again Hydviv,

Fiscal year in the UK is starts from the 6th of April every year - does seem weird but thats the English for you :-)
Companies follow their own system for declaring results and many follow the Jan to Dec slab but from a working man's point of view, its from April 6th 2010 until April 5th 2011 as per UK Income tax laws.

As you will be working in March whether paid on the 31st or April 1st, you will get ALL your income as you said you are well below the tax free allowance. Most companies pay on the last working day - there are very very few companies who will pay on the 1st of the following month - I know some companies that pay on the 25th of every month but mostly they pay on last working day of the month. So sometimes you can get paid on the 28th or 29th as well.

So fear not, you will get all your money and will not be taxed :-)

KP

faru22
BANNED

hello

Post by faru22 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:35 am

hi hydviv and mesam,
i m on tier-1 visa from nov 2010,my problem is,tough i get calls from employers for job openings,i say m in uk,i cant say i m in india,cause no consultant will entertain ,so if he says i need to be present at a particular venue for the interview i just cant go since i m in india,and lose the opportunity.
I have 9+yrs experience in .NET microsoft technologies,can u guys plzz suggest some idea how can i get a job in uk,when i india:0.m planning to cm to UK in couple of months ,but i need ur suggestions
plzzzz

Mesam6

Post by Mesam6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:56 am

Hi Faru,

There are no two ways about it. Either you catch a flight to UK and go for the interviews or you wait till you move to the UK and then get the ball rolling. One way you can make a trip to the Uk cost effective before your move there is to line up 5-6 interview over the course of a week and just go and give the interviews. In my case, I just had a single assessment center lined up but for me it was worth taking the trip for that single job as it was paying very well given my experience level and the company was a top Fortune-500 firm which also happened to be paying part of my travel costs :)

However, had it been a smaller firm or less well-paying job, I might not have come just for a single interview as it is not worth it unless you are very confident about your chances.

Lastly, with regard to the market for .NET in Uk, I am not in a position to opine about it as my domain is accounting and finance but i am sure if you search the forum, you should find enough info to answer your question.

Best of luck with your search.

Regards,
Mesam.

girlinLondon

Re: hello

Post by girlinLondon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:16 am

faru22 wrote:hi hydviv and mesam,
i m on tier-1 visa from nov 2010,my problem is,tough i get calls from employers for job openings,i say m in uk,i cant say i m in india,cause no consultant will entertain ,so if he says i need to be present at a particular venue for the interview i just cant go since i m in india,and lose the opportunity.
I have 9+yrs experience in .NET microsoft technologies,can u guys plzz suggest some idea how can i get a job in uk,when i india:0.m planning to cm to UK in couple of months ,but i need ur suggestions
plzzzz
I quite agree with Mesam6. Make sure you have some interviews lined up before you decide to travel to UK. Also, its quite possible to actually have the first round as a telephonic interview and then when you have 4-5 of the first rounds cleared you can travel and try the second rounds. :) all the best. i did exactly the same and it worked for me.