ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

sponsor requirements for spouse visa to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

johnnymotel
Newly Registered

sponsor requirements for spouse visa to UK

Post by johnnymotel » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:57 pm

I'd like to hear from people who have had success in applying for a spouse visa where the sponsor income is below the 'minimum' but where the sponsor has sufficient savings and liquid assets to cover both himself & wife for a good period of time. I am self employed, but do not have much income from this. Mainly because I do 20-30 hours voluntary work for a charity. Maybe there are some immigration experts who can advise.

batleykhan

Re: sponsor requirements for spouse visa to UK

Post by batleykhan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:51 pm

johnnymotel wrote:I'd like to hear from people who have had success in applying for a spouse visa where the sponsor income is below the 'minimum' but where the sponsor has sufficient savings and liquid assets to cover both himself & wife for a good period of time. I am self employed, but do not have much income from this. Mainly because I do 20-30 hours voluntary work for a charity. Maybe there are some immigration experts who can advise.
How and where has the money that you intend to live on come from. Would you be to explain it and convince the ECO taht it would be enough to live on without resorting to public funds?.

If so then it should not make no diffrence if you earn a small amount from your self employed business. The ECO needs only to satisfy himself that you can maintain,support and accommodate yourself and your spouse on the money that you have

johnnymotel
Newly Registered

Post by johnnymotel » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks batleykahn.
FYI, the money came originally from a flat sale in 2003. This was invested and I have pretty much lived off the interest & capital since. I also came into my late mum's inheritance. All this is above board and I guess I could show evidence if needed. But my savings and liquid investments exceed 100k, me thinks that's enough for two over two years!!
I will make further checks with professionals.
But it was a bit of a shock to be told by this lawyer guy that I had to go out and get a 'proper job'....in this climate!!
The big fly in my wife's application is a lousy immigration history, two periods of overstay and working!

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:04 pm

I think you have more than enough to survive on for some time to come. If your partner has not been deported but left on own will even though she might have overstayed and worked. this is waived when applying for a spouse visa.If on the other she tried to frustrate the rules, then you may have problems when applying :wink: