ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch from ancestry dependant to spouse of UK citizen visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Spunkeroli
Newly Registered

Switch from ancestry dependant to spouse of UK citizen visa

Post by Spunkeroli » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi everyone,

Hope you can assist with my query.

I am a British citizen who recently moved to live in the UK. I entered the UK on an ancestry visa as my citizenship application was being appealed due to an initial refusal (complicated issues to do with my parents' marriage). My husband came here to the UK with me on an ancestry dependent visa. Just after that, my British citizenship was approved.

We want him to begin the process for ILR as soon as possible. Should he apply for a new visa as the spouse of a British citizen now, or should he wait until the end of his ancestry dependent visa, another 4.5 years? ie, does the five years on an ancestry dependent visa count for anything, or should he switch to a new visa ASAP to begin clocking up the time spent here?

Thanks for your help!

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:25 am

He should switch ASAP.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.