ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Marriage

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Walker09
Newly Registered

Student Marriage

Post by Walker09 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:58 pm

I am a medical student and my fiance and I are due to be married in a month in Finland. My problem is that I will be training as a medical student in the UK and she goes to school in Finland. I spoke to the Finnish authorities and they have informed me that residency status will not be an issue there. But since I will be in the UK for 1.5 years will the UK immigration have an issue with me being in the UK even though i'm married to a Finn who is not in the UK?

She will be in the UK in 2 years after she graduates but I need to do my training in the UK starting in May. So once we are married and I have the proper documents from the Finnish government will I be able to travel/stay in the UK and continue my clinical training in the UK? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:30 pm

I assume from your post that you are a non EEA national?

If your wife is not going to be living in the UK then you cannot rely on your relationship with her to remain in the UK to study. You will need to apply for a tier 4 visa to continue your studies in the UK.

WHat is your current immigration status in the UK?

Walker09
Newly Registered

Re: Student

Post by Walker09 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:32 pm

No I am not an EEA/EU national. I am currently in Finland with her. I am to go to London in May and if that won't be possible then i'll have to go to the US. It'll be tough for us, but I was trying to look at possible avenues. Thanks for the reply.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:44 am

Walker09, given your wife, as she will be, will not be exercising EU Treaty Rights in the UK, the marriage does not assist you as regards UK immigration law.

You will need to apply for and get a Tier 4 visa, in order to study in the UK.
John