ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration is complicated, please help me

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wizardland

Immigration is complicated, please help me

Post by wizardland » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi all, need help pls.

I am a non EEA citizen, my spouse is both British and Irish. I came to Ireland with a D type visa (not clear on what that means). I applied for a spouse visa of an Irish citizen and that what I was given. On arrival, custom officer advised me to report to my local Immigration officer which I knew already - thx to this forum.

To be honest, until now I’m still confused about which stamp I should be getting – due to my spouse’s dual nationality. Probably the one for Irish spouse, I don’t know. Anyway I went to my local Garda with my spouse, who was born and raised in the UK, speaks English accent. Then, Immigration officer said that I’d be getting a temporary GNIB card , valid for 6 months while I submit my EU1 application. When my application is approved, I will get a STAMP4EUFAM. I just nodded along, he’s the expert.

So I sent my EU1 application, got an acknowledgment letter, waited until January, no news or anything. During my waiting, I have e-mailed them (since it is the only form of communication I know to get in touch with them) at least two or three times. First e-mail was to let them know I got a PPS number, which they responded to. Next e-mails were to ask if my application was complete and in order, etc, unfortunately no response from them.

Came January, no news, I started to fidget, since my temporary GNIB card was expiring in February. So I contacted the same officer again, explaining that I haven’t received any news regarding my EU1 application and my GNIB card is expiring. I needed to know if I could extend my GNIB card or not. First, he told me to hang on until 1 week before the expiration date, I was like??? That’s a bit risky, isn’t it? If I couldn’t extend, I’m gonna have to pay a very expensive ticket to get outta here then??

Anyway, he did understand my point and in the end he said I’ve done some inquiries, your spouse is Irish? What type is your visa? OK you’re eligible for a STAMP4, its a new scheme or something. I was just glad that it was sorted.

When I went to see him again to renew my GNIB card, I asked him about my EU1 application. He said just ignore it now, you don’t need it, you already have STAMP4 valid for a year, if you and your spouse are still together after 1 year, I’ll extend it again and again.

I was a bit annoyed when he said I didn’t need to bother with EU1 application. I mean, postage was a bomb and the waiting as well. It’s like time and money wasted. I thought he knew what he was doing. Apparently he does not. When I asked about multiple entry, he said I must go in person to Dublin, can’t be done by post. I found it hard to believe, I had to do some queries on this forum to get my answer.

I don’t know if its because my spouse’s accent so he just assumed or what, cuz I did bring both Brit and Irish passports the first time. However, Im grateful for all his help. I got my card renewed, no charge, Im happy.

My main concern is, if there’s change of circumstances, say I move somewhere, do I still need to let DoJ know, in regards to my EU1 application? Monday will be 6 months since I received their acknowledgment letter. Is there any way I can phone them to ask directly, I just want to do things right.

Thank you so much for helping me.

Ben1981
Newly Registered

Re: Immigration is complicated, please help me

Post by Ben1981 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:55 pm

wizardland wrote:Hi all, need help pls.

I am a non EEA citizen, my spouse is both British and Irish. I came to Ireland with a D type visa (not clear on what that means). I applied for a spouse visa of an Irish citizen and that what I was given. On arrival, custom officer advised me to report to my local Immigration officer which I knew already - thx to this forum.

To be honest, until now I’m still confused about which stamp I should be getting – due to my spouse’s dual nationality. Probably the one for Irish spouse, I don’t know. Anyway I went to my local Garda with my spouse, who was born and raised in the UK, speaks English accent. Then, Immigration officer said that I’d be getting a temporary GNIB card , valid for 6 months while I submit my EU1 application. When my application is approved, I will get a STAMP4EUFAM. I just nodded along, he’s the expert.

So I sent my EU1 application, got an acknowledgment letter, waited until January, no news or anything. During my waiting, I have e-mailed them (since it is the only form of communication I know to get in touch with them) at least two or three times. First e-mail was to let them know I got a PPS number, which they responded to. Next e-mails were to ask if my application was complete and in order, etc, unfortunately no response from them.

Came January, no news, I started to fidget, since my temporary GNIB card was expiring in February. So I contacted the same officer again, explaining that I haven’t received any news regarding my EU1 application and my GNIB card is expiring. I needed to know if I could extend my GNIB card or not. First, he told me to hang on until 1 week before the expiration date, I was like??? That’s a bit risky, isn’t it? If I couldn’t extend, I’m gonna have to pay a very expensive ticket to get outta here then??

Anyway, he did understand my point and in the end he said I’ve done some inquiries, your spouse is Irish? What type is your visa? OK you’re eligible for a STAMP4, its a new scheme or something. I was just glad that it was sorted.

When I went to see him again to renew my GNIB card, I asked him about my EU1 application. He said just ignore it now, you don’t need it, you already have STAMP4 valid for a year, if you and your spouse are still together after 1 year, I’ll extend it again and again.

I was a bit annoyed when he said I didn’t need to bother with EU1 application. I mean, postage was a bomb and the waiting as well. It’s like time and money wasted. I thought he knew what he was doing. Apparently he does not. When I asked about multiple entry, he said I must go in person to Dublin, can’t be done by post. I found it hard to believe, I had to do some queries on this forum to get my answer.

I don’t know if its because my spouse’s accent so he just assumed or what, cuz I did bring both Brit and Irish passports the first time. However, Im grateful for all his help. I got my card renewed, no charge, Im happy.

My main concern is, if there’s change of circumstances, say I move somewhere, do I still need to let DoJ know, in regards to my EU1 application? Monday will be 6 months since I received their acknowledgment letter. Is there any way I can phone them to ask directly, I just want to do things right.

Hi there,

Could you please confirm the list of the documents submitted on your app.? The DOJ mainly gives there decission based on the documents( evidence) provided on the application therefore if you are missing with anyone of them then be read for a refusal. No matter your wife is EU or Irish citizen.... Is your wife is currently working full time? Do you rent a flat or live with In - laws ? coz if renting then they need PRBT letter. Hope you have some ideas about it. If she is self-employed then you need CSI- comprehensive sickness insurance for both of you.

And lastly, marriage of convenience !!! This is the biggest weapon of DOJ. Ofcourse if you guys have send them enough photos, relationship history, how u met first time and explain atleast 2 years of your being together then i guess u are fine with all their requirements.

PLEASE READ MY POST AS advise and Nothing rude or arrogant. I am just trying to write what experiences i hear from my friends in poland/UK/Ireland.

Regards
Ben

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:09 pm

i believe currently all dual national (british and irish) spouses are being refused under EU treaty rights, and some are going to the court. therefore, a delay in your application. if you want a simpler life just take stamp 4 as a spouse of irish national and enjoy. no applications for Eu treaty rights, no courts, etc. you will need a re entry visa, free of charge, and a schengen visa free of charge to cover all your travelling. your stamp 4 will be renewed on yearly bases if you are still together with your spouse. chances are that at your next renewal you may get 5 years on stamp 4, so no worries. and do not panic, nobody is going to deport you or tell you to leave if you marriage is true, and you will be renewed.

wizardland

Re: Immigration is complicated, please help me

Post by wizardland » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:30 pm

Ben1981 wrote:
wizardland wrote:Hi all, need help pls.

Hi there,

Could you please confirm the list of the documents submitted on your app.? The DOJ mainly gives there decission based on the documents( evidence) provided on the application therefore if you are missing with anyone of them then be read for a refusal. No matter your wife is EU or Irish citizen.... Is your wife is currently working full time? Do you rent a flat or live with In - laws ? coz if renting then they need PRBT letter. Hope you have some ideas about it. If she is self-employed then you need CSI- comprehensive sickness insurance for both of you.

And lastly, marriage of convenience !!! This is the biggest weapon of DOJ. Ofcourse if you guys have send them enough photos, relationship history, how u met first time and explain atleast 2 years of your being together then i guess u are fine with all their requirements.

PLEASE READ MY POST AS advise and Nothing rude or arrogant. I am just trying to write what experiences i hear from my friends in poland/UK/Ireland.

Regards
Ben
i sent marriage cert, all passports, GNIB card, everything they ask basically - according to our circumstances at the time of application.

Honestly, im not waiting for my EU1 application anymore now that I got a STAMP4. I just need to know if I still need to inform DoJ when my circumstances change, because I havent heard anything from them, accepted/ refused, so I must assume that my application is still being processed.

Abt relationship evidence, I did all that when I applied for my visa. I didnt send any of that for EU1 as it wasnt required.

Thx again for ur reply

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:44 pm

agniukas wrote:i believe currently all dual national (british and irish) spouses are being refused under EU treaty rights, and some are going to the court. therefore, a delay in your application. if you want a simpler life just take stamp 4 as a spouse of irish national and enjoy. no applications for Eu treaty rights, no courts, etc. you will need a re entry visa, free of charge, and a schengen visa free of charge to cover all your travelling. your stamp 4 will be renewed on yearly bases if you are still together with your spouse. chances are that at your next renewal you may get 5 years on stamp 4, so no worries. and do not panic, nobody is going to deport you or tell you to leave if you marriage is true, and you will be renewed.
Thats exactly what Im doing. i only applied for EU1 thing, based on the immigration officer's advice.

i wasnt worrying abt being deported, i was worrying abt ticket fare if i couldnt get my GNIB card renewed in time at the same time i dont want to leave my spouse. i wouldnt want to be here if it wasnt for my spouse.

My Stamp4 is sorted now, but i still hv one concern which is do I still hv to inform DoJ if my circumstances change, considering my EU1 application is still an ongoing process (i think) because i might be moving to a new address.

thx for ur reply

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:59 pm

yes, you should inform EU treaty rights section about your change of address, and if you wish, you can just cancel your application and that will be the end of it. send them a letter saying that you are already sorted with stamp 4 as a spouse of irish national

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:52 pm

agniukas wrote:yes, you should inform EU treaty rights section about your change of address, and if you wish, you can just cancel your application and that will be the end of it. send them a letter saying that you are already sorted with stamp 4 as a spouse of irish national
oh can i cancel it? cool, ill write the letter.

thx very much

wizardland

letter of refusal from DoJ

Post by wizardland » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:16 pm

hi,

as advised i sent both letter and e-mail to DoJ to cancel my EU1 application just yesterday (no response or acknowledgment yet). funnily enough today i got a letter from them regarding my application which they refused.

last bit says :
"your eu treaty rights application is now closed. it is noted that you now have no immigration status in the state. the onus in on u to ensure that ur permission in the state remains current (again i have a valid GNIB card). it is noted that ur spouse hold duel (not dual) irish and british citizenship. as the spouse of an irish national you may be entitled to permission on this basis. you should apply to the spouse of irish national section in INIS to make an application."

i was confused again when i read:
"the onus is on u, the applicant, to advice this office of any change in your circumstances"

first they say i dont have immigration status, ud think theyll have me in the system now that i got a valid stamp4.
rung my immigration officer anyway, he said ignore it, u have ur stamp, u have ur card, u r grand. pls tell me he advise correctly.

second they keep saying i have to tell them of any change of circumstances, eventho they said my application is now closed??? so what should i do?

share pls
thank u

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:17 pm

hi,
that's it. your immigration officer was right. you have your card, your permission on stamp 4 and you are grand. don't think about eu treaty rights anymore.
what they implied in the letter was that you were supposed to tell them that you got stamp 4 as spouse of irish national. an applicant must notify the section if they move address, change jobs, run out of permission and anything else what may happen.
but as i said, you are sorted, so dont worry about them anymore, and enjoy your life in ireland with your spouse

daddy
Member of Standing

Re: letter of refusal from DoJ

Post by daddy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:18 am

wizardland wrote:hi,

as advised i sent both letter and e-mail to DoJ to cancel my EU1 application just yesterday (no response or acknowledgment yet). funnily enough today i got a letter from them regarding my application which they refused.

last bit says :
"your eu treaty rights application is now closed. it is noted that you now have no immigration status in the state. the onus in on u to ensure that ur permission in the state remains current (again i have a valid GNIB card). it is noted that ur spouse hold duel (not dual) irish and british citizenship. as the spouse of an irish national you may be entitled to permission on this basis. you should apply to the spouse of irish national section in INIS to make an application."

"the onus is on u, the applicant, to advice this office of any change in your circumstances"

first they say i dont have immigration status, ud think theyll have me in the system now that i got a valid stamp4.
rung my immigration officer anyway, he said ignore it, u have ur stamp, u have ur card, u r grand. pls tell me he advise correctly.

second they keep saying i have to tell them of any change of circumstances, eventho they said my application is now closed??? so what should i do?

share pls
thank u
Hi Wizardland, glad to hear that you are sorted with your stamp4, what matters is that you are here legally with your spouse.

Please could you tell me the date you applied for your eu1, am still waiting to hear from DOJ, its almost 6 months.
Thanks for your anticipated reply.
Daddy.

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:19 am

agniukas wrote:hi,
that's it. your immigration officer was right. you have your card, your permission on stamp 4 and you are grand. don't think about eu treaty rights anymore.
what they implied in the letter was that you were supposed to tell them that you got stamp 4 as spouse of irish national. an applicant must notify the section if they move address, change jobs, run out of permission and anything else what may happen.
but as i said, you are sorted, so dont worry about them anymore, and enjoy your life in ireland with your spouse
thx very much agniukas. appreciate all ur help

wizardland

Re: letter of refusal from DoJ

Post by wizardland » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:22 am

daddy wrote:
wizardland wrote:hi,

last bit says :

share pls
thank u
Hi Wizardland, glad to hear that you are sorted with your stamp4, what matters is that you are here legally with your spouse.

Please could you tell me the date you applied for your eu1, am still waiting to hear from DOJ, its almost 6 months.
Thanks for your anticipated reply.
Daddy.
i remember i got acknowledgment letter dated 13 august 2010. and the refusal letter dated 11 feb 2011, so id say the soonest ull hear is at exactly 6 months after u got the acknowledgment letter.

good luck w/ ur application. all the best