ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

naturalisation - will "illegal" work in EU effect

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xeb
Newly Registered

naturalisation - will "illegal" work in EU effect

Post by xeb » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:26 pm

hi there

I'm a nz citizen and have been living and working in the uk for 5 years, the last year on ILR. Officially I have 2 jobs here - one as an engineer and the other as a DJ. I travel to europe relatively regularly (20 trips in the last 3 years) to DJ but have never obtained work visas. Some have been EU, some non-EU. I get paid pretty much notionally if at all... I could quite easily spread what little money I've made (and declared to the UK tax man) from EU gigs to my UK based gigs. I'm about to apply for naturilisation... when they ask purpose of each visit out of the UK do I:
1. declare trips as work and risk having them question why i've never had work visas,
2. declare as un-paid work (although my flights, hotels etc are always paid for - does that count as payment?)
3. say the trips have been for personal reasons (most trips have been to poland so i could probably convincingly say I had a girl there or something...)

i would be very grateful to hear people's opinions on this....
Last edited by xeb on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Re: naturalisation - will "illegal" work in EU eff

Post by bbdivo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:41 pm

xeb wrote:hi there

I'm a nz citizen and have been living and working in the uk for 5 years, the last year on ILR. Officially I have 2 jobs here - one as an engineer and the other as a DJ. I travel to europe relatively regularly (20 trips in the last 3 years) to DJ but have never obtained work visas. Some have been EU, some non-EU. I get paid pretty much notionally if at all... I could quite easily spread what little money I've made (and declared to the UK tax man) from EU gigs to my UK based gigs. do I:
1. declare trips as work and risk having them question why i've never had work visas,
2. declare as un-paid work (although my flights, hotels etc are always paid for - does that count as payment?)
3. say the trips have been for personal reasons (most trips have been to poland so i could probably convincingly say I had a girl there or something...)

i would be very grateful to hear people's opinions on this....
On Question 1 who is going to ask that?

xeb
Newly Registered

Post by xeb » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:44 pm

UK IND

i guess as far as they are concerned i haven't worked illegally in the UK so maybe they don't care, but perhaps it shows i am not "of good character"

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:29 am

Seems most unlikely to me - the UK has its work cut out managing its own immigration rules, let alone those of other countries...

My own inclination would be to describe them as business visits - which they were - and leave it at that. I think the reason for asking the applicant to list trips in detail is just to get him/her to focus on it properly, so IND has a list which can be compared with date stamps in passports, to make sure that the absences don't exceed those permitted by the Act. I would certainly counsel against the idea of having an imaginary friend - far too complicated!
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:36 am

I agree with ppron.
"Business" visits should do it. As far as the IND is concerned the fact that you have lived within the immigration rules in the UK is what matters. Also the European countries in question clearly allowed you in so there is no question of being of less than "good" character. The reason they ask for the purpose of the visit I think is simply to get a feel for whether you have been actually living in the UK and making it your home. Long absences may raise the future intention issue but short business trips out of the UK are fairly normal for a lot of people these days. IND don't have the time or the resources to delive in detail about the nature of your trips abroad nor is it relevant to your naturalisation application.

xeb
Newly Registered

Post by xeb » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:52 am

thanks very much. that was my gut feeling but wanted some second opinions before putting it in black & white!

thanks again :)

basis

Post by basis » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:54 am

your post itself suggests your excellent character. Frnakly most people would not even blink their eye about it. Put those trips as business visits.

There are many who have actually worked in EU or non-EU countries for months at a stretch while on business visa and not bothered to take Work Visas or pay taxes etc. Yours a legitimate case of visits on business purpose.