ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to the UK, worried about spending 6 months apart?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dirk

Moving to the UK, worried about spending 6 months apart?

Post by Dirk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi, I am a British Citizen living in China. I have been researching this including reading this forum for over a year now and we are finally planning to move over in the summer.

We will probably get married in Hong Kong in the next few months, probably just going to be a simple signing of documents in the registry office with any celebration after we move to the UK.

As I will be leaving my job in China and taking up a new one in the UK I realise I need 6 months of payslips and bank statements in order to sponsor this visa. I am not highly paid though when we do move to the UK we can live at my parents house for free.

Key thing is I really don't want us to spend this 6 months apart, is it likely a 6 month visitor visa will be issued? We are in the UK right now on a holiday (one month trip) but her visa expires in July so she will need a new one. Also if we do have to spend this time (or some of it) apart what do we need to do to prove the relationship is subsisting?

Will the lack of any wedding photos ect go against us? We have made trips to the UK abroad on the basis of being a couple, we have loads of photos, emails, attestation from loads of people. How far back do we need to prove our relationship goes?

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks

batleykhan

Re: Moving to the UK, worried about spending 6 months apart?

Post by batleykhan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Dirk wrote:Hi, I am a British Citizen living in China. I have been researching this including reading this forum for over a year now and we are finally planning to move over in the summer.

We will probably get married in Hong Kong in the next few months, probably just going to be a simple signing of documents in the registry office with any celebration after we move to the UK.

As I will be leaving my job in China and taking up a new one in the UK I realise I need 6 months of payslips and bank statements in order to sponsor this visa. I am not highly paid though when we do move to the UK we can live at my parents house for free.

Key thing is I really don't want us to spend this 6 months apart, is it likely a 6 month visitor visa will be issued? We are in the UK right now on a holiday (one month trip) but her visa expires in July so she will need a new one. Also if we do have to spend this time (or some of it) apart what do we need to do to prove the relationship is subsisting?

Will the lack of any wedding photos ect go against us? We have made trips to the UK abroad on the basis of being a couple, we have loads of photos, emails, attestation from loads of people. How far back do we need to prove our relationship goes?

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks
I am afraid there is no getting away from the fact that you will have to spend some time apart whilst the visa is being processed.

You have to satisfy the ECO that you both meet the rules for the spouse visa. This will mean that you will have to show you work and have enough savings and sufficient accommodation to support and maintain your wife when she comes here.

I would strongly advise taht you do not attempt to try and change visa from visitor to spouse whilst in UK. Furthermore it is not advisable to apply for another visitor visa just before applying for a spouse visa as it might jeopardise the latter.

I am afraid you better get use to being away from your wife for a period till the spouse visa is issued to her. You have unfortunately no choice in this matter.

Hope this helps

alanakaja1980

Post by alanakaja1980 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Yip you will just have to live apart for a while I'm afraid. My husband went back to Alaska 2 weeks ago and it's been a nightmare for both of us to be apart. Hopefully we will be back together in just over a month or so. It's difficult but it's just one of they sacrifices you have to make :(

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Yes this is as I thought, I did think of this as a potential timetable however.

June or July Leave China with her on a vistor visa, I start work in the UK.

December (6 months later) when her visitor visa runs out she returns to China after which I will have worked in the UK for 6 months and makes the application for the spousal visa. I have no idea how long this takes? My brother in law spent 2 months waiting for his.

What I really don't want is 6 months turning into 8 or 9 or even a year.

skyepark

Post by skyepark » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:09 am

If you have ample savings I don't think you don't have to show work payslips but a cv and an offer letter of employment stating your earning potential. but the housing thing also has to be correct.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:30 am

Dirk wrote:Yes this is as I thought, I did think of this as a potential timetable however.

June or July Leave China with her on a vistor visa, I start work in the UK.

December (6 months later) when her visitor visa runs out she returns to China after which I will have worked in the UK for 6 months and makes the application for the spousal visa. I have no idea how long this takes? My brother in law spent 2 months waiting for his.

What I really don't want is 6 months turning into 8 or 9 or even a year.
Its not compulsary that you have to provide 6 months wage slips, you can get away with 3 months wage slips and bank statements. You need to show that you have secure employment and income coming in to support your spouse.