ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

need creative advice

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

deuchars
Newly Registered

need creative advice

Post by deuchars » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:24 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been reading over this and other boards dealing with immigrating to the UK and have found alot of useful information. My situation, while I'm certain is not completely unique, is hard to match with applicable posts. The odds don't look good on the surface, and that's where I need the help of someone who had similiar circumstances or are very familiar with the UK visa system and who can think outside the box.
Here's my situation; I am a US citizen, over 40, single, and live near Atlanta. I have been to the UK six times and love the people and the country. My holiday travel has taken me to other parts of Europe, but none left me longing to return like the UK. I have decided to try to satisfy my dream of immigrating, so that I too, can enjoy and become a useful part of the society you all call home.
I have looked into HSMP. I didn't graduate from university(an internship turned into a job in radio and I never went back to finish). The last 15 years have been spent working for a US record label in the promotion and marketing department. Unless I am reading the manual incorrectly, I would not qualify for the 65 points.
There are quite a few radio jobs available throughout the UK, but radio stations are not the type to sponser and get you a work permit. And there are plenty of sales jobs out there, but again, no work permit. I haven't been able to find a shortage list with either occupation on it. I would do whatever work I could according to which visa I can get in on. I have funds to support myself(I live by average means) for several years, or those funds could be used to start a business. The total available to me is approx. $300K. There are friends in the Midlands I could stay with while I get an idea of where I want to settle(probably Scotland).
It seems the only things I have in my corner are that there are jobs posted on the job boards that I could qualify for, and I have funds to keep me going for a good while. I am certain that given the chance I would acclaimate very well. I want to make this happen iin the worst way!
Does anyone(who has not nodded off whilst reading this) have any ideas on what path I should choose? I'm sure that it will not be as simple as if I were a spouse or worked in IT. But I know enough people who have immigrated with less going for them, so I am not going to give up.
I thank you in advance for any good advice. PM me if you don't care to reply publicly.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:48 am

On initial impressions I would say the Work Permit route is certainly an option worth looking into. Your across board experience means you can consider multiple opportunities across various multi media platforms. The British Entertainment Industry (Film, Radio etc) AFAIK is on the up - something to do with tax breaks IIRC and there is of course the 'reality show' phenomena ala Pop Idol and its variations. I would assume there would be a guild/society here for the profession - go on to a search engine. Look too for UK branches of relevant recording labels.

Another suitable option is for entry as a student which can give you more time to explore your options and get a better feel to/of the country and where you particularly wish to settle if that is your long term intention - visiting and living somewhere long term/ permanently can often be two very different experiences. Hope that helps as a start.

deuchars
Newly Registered

Post by deuchars » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will have a look at the Film area. I am going to re-do my CV and get it out to as many prospective employers as possible.
The student route is interesting. Do you know of anyone who is an 'older" student who came over from the States on a student visa and managed to get hired on and stay? If so, I would love to ask them anoutt the whole experience. It sounds really quite intriguing.