ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement requirements for PBS migrants from April 2011

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Settlement requirements for PBS migrants from April 2011

Post by geriatrix » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:14 am

PBS statement of intent, transitional measures and ILR wrote:INDEFINITE LEAVE TO REMAIN (SETTLEMENT)

On the 23 November 2010, the Home Secretary set out the Government’s intention to restrict settlement and to end the link between temporary migration for work or study and staying in the UK permanently. As a first step towards achieving these objectives, there will be some preliminary tightening of the settlement rules from April 2011 which will affect those submitting applications for settlement on or after 6 April.

We will consult later in the year on further settlement reforms. However, those making applications for leave to enter or who are already in the UK and apply to switch into an alternative route on or after 6 April 2011 should be aware that the opportunity to apply for settlement and the requirements for applicants may change. Applicants will need to meet the rules in place at the time of their application for settlement.

CHANGES TO THE SETTLEMENT RULES FROM APRIL 2011
Rules and guidance changes effective from April 2011 will:
• introduce a new income requirement for Tier 1 (General), Tier 2 (General) and Work Permit holders applying for settlement;
• amend the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement for Tier 1 (General), Tier 2 (General) and Work Permit holders; and
• clarify the criminality test applied to all applicants for settlement.

Income requirement
We will introduce a new income requirement for Tier 1 (General), Tier 2 (General) and Work Permit holders applying for settlement. Although granted leave to enter or remain with the intention that they should undertake skilled or highly skilled work, these groups currently are not required to demonstrate this at the settlement stage. An income requirement will help ensure that these migrants have continued
to work in skilled or highly skilled occupations by confirming their income is at least the level stipulated when they were last granted leave.
From April, we intend to apply the same income criteria for settlement as we do when an applicant applies for further leave to remain. We will clearly set out these requirements in the forthcoming Statement of Changes to the Immigration Rules and in guidance, however, in general terms:
• Tier 1 (General) migrants will need to score points against the same criteria as their last application as set out in Appendix A of the
Immigration Rules;
• Tier 2 (General) and Work Permit migrants will need to be paid the appropriate salary for the occupation as set out in the relevant Code of Practice for sponsored skilled workers.

English language
Those here under Tier 1 and Tier 2 of the Points Based System and as Work Permit holders who apply for settlement are required to demonstrate a Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK prior to being granted settlement. From April, they will be able to meet this requirement only by completing the Life in the UK Test. They will no longer be able to rely on taking an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) with citizenship course.

This will ensure that all Tier 1, Tier 2 and Work Permit migrants meet at least English level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for languages, as this is the level at which we set the Life in the UK Test. Dependants of Tier and Tier 2 migrants will be unaffected by this change.

Criminality test
We will reform the current criminality threshold for settlement to bring it more in line with that for citizenship (naturalisation) applicants. All migrants (except refugees) will need to be free of unspent convictions when applying for settlement. Those who are not, and have no other legitimate basis of stay here, will be expected to leave the UK.
Page 10-11!

AIUI, HSMP migrants covered by HSMP JR (settlement) should not be affected by these changes, by virtue of the court judgement.

Additionally, my two cents -
Until such time that the government issues a statement of change in the parliament or announces the exact details of changes in the immigration rules and/or issues a revised policy guidance, any statement made in the said document (or in a media article) is subject to individual interpretation!

So, in my humble opinion, being a bit more patient and waiting until such details are made public may be a wise thing to do. Details of any changes to be implemented from 06-Apr will have to made public beforehand, so not long to wait for ... and everything will be crystal clear then.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Son_of_Soil
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: Settlement requirements for PBS migrants from April 2011

Post by Son_of_Soil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:19 am

Hi sushdmehta
Its doesnt say anything about HSMP pre nov 2006 application. Wil there be a transitional agreement for people under HSMP JR pre nov 2006?

Regards

renzokuken

Post by renzokuken » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:27 am

Sounds promising for those who are in the UK already, although there will be new income criteria and free from criminal conviction, overall the rules will not change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12471060

"He added that the new rules will only apply to new applicants and not to those already in the UK, although those wanting to settle in the UK would have to be clear of any criminal convictions"

sunny1407

Post by sunny1407 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:34 am

I am in the pre Nov 06 HSMP JR category and am really worried now if the new rules for ILR will apply to us or not?
There was never ever a min salary criteria for us and would be really unfair to have it now after completing 5 years!
I finish 5 years in Nov 11 and hope they honor the JR policy document and not try to change the rules again :-(

lavkir
BANNED

Unspent motoring conviction

Post by lavkir » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:51 am

The introduction of the Criminality threshold for settlement to bring it more in line with that for citizenship (naturalisation) applicants sounds the deathknell for ILR applicants like me who have unspent motoring convictions. Applicants currently applying for citizenship (naturalisation) have to be clear of all criminal convictions (including motoring).

I am currently on my Tier1 extension, so to be eligible for ILR, I will need another Tier1 extension which seems unlikely even for in country applicants. Moderators - your views please.

Son_of_Soil
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Son_of_Soil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi Sunny
i m in the same boat as you. No bidy is saying anything about pre nov 2006 applicants.
i will request higher members of the forum to give some advise to us.
regards

sunny1407 wrote:I am in the pre Nov 06 HSMP JR category and am really worried now if the new rules for ILR will apply to us or not?
There was never ever a min salary criteria for us and would be really unfair to have it now after completing 5 years!
I finish 5 years in Nov 11 and hope they honor the JR policy document and not try to change the rules again :-(

sunny1407

Post by sunny1407 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Son_of_Soil wrote:Hi Sunny
i m in the same boat as you. No bidy is saying anything about pre nov 2006 applicants.
regards

sunny1407 wrote:I am in the pre Nov 06 HSMP JR category and am really worried now if the new rules for ILR will apply to us or not?
I am now seriously thinking of applying to ILR in March and try to include my SEGS prior to HSMP in the 5 year.
I know SEGS apparently does not count towards the 5 years but am wondering if I should take the risk and do it
What do u think??

Son_of_Soil
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Son_of_Soil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:15 pm

I dnt think its a good idea. SEGS doesnt count towards the ILR . I rang Home office and they told me this. i had SEGS aswell before i got HSMP and then tier 1 based on HSMP JR, also due for ILR in nov.

sunny1407 wrote:
regards

I am now seriously thinking of applying to ILR in March and try to include my SEGS prior to HSMP in the 5 year.
I know SEGS apparently does not count towards the 5 years but am wondering if I should take the risk and do it
What do u think??

sunny1407

Post by sunny1407 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:20 pm

Son_of_Soil wrote:I dnt think its a good idea. SEGS doesnt count towards the ILR . I rang Home office and they told me this. i had SEGS aswell before i got HSMP and then tier 1 based on HSMP JR, also due for ILR in nov.

sunny1407 wrote:
regards

What do u think??
yeah i know i did enquire about it as well and was told the same, strange thing is though if u look at the jr policy document and it says u can amalgamate the categories under some paragraphs of the immigration rules.
if u then look at those paragraphs, SEGS is mentioned there as one of the categories to switch to wp.
I am just thinking if i should take the risk and apply justifying it as the reason i thought its included being mentioned in those paragraphs. Surely they will check this before taking payment and all I loose is one day travel to PEO.
I know its really risky but don't know what else to do as this is killing me!

Son_of_Soil
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Son_of_Soil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:29 pm

seniors please advise us

kunald

Re: Unspent motoring conviction

Post by kunald » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:32 pm

lavkir wrote:The introduction of the Criminality threshold for settlement to bring it more in line with that for citizenship (naturalisation) applicants sounds the deathknell for ILR applicants like me who have unspent motoring convictions. Applicants currently applying for citizenship (naturalisation) have to be clear of all criminal convictions (including motoring).

I am currently on my Tier1 extension, so to be eligible for ILR, I will need another Tier1 extension which seems unlikely even for in country applicants. Moderators - your views please.
Refer to Immigration minister's speech.....

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... ion-reform
Damian Green speech 01 Feb wrote:.....My task is to reduce the numbers coming, increase the numbers leaving when their visas are up...
He is doing what he said. Tier-1 is now closed. Those who are already here and changed jobs in the last 2 years have most likely settled for lesser salary due to current economic scenario. Thus they will not be able to meet the salary criteria. You talk about "motoring convictions", I won't be surprised if they include minor parking offences in future. If you were issued a parking ticket in 5 years time, you are gone...can't apply for settlement.

ilrdilemma
Newly Registered

Post by ilrdilemma » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:42 pm

I am eligible to apply for ILR in May, 2010. Does it mean that (assuming if the Apr 2011 rule is implemented the way it was mentioned in Nov, 2010):

1) I need to show the same (or more) earnings as what was previously claimed when i applied for my Tier 1?

2) Would there be any maintainence funds required (since thay have 10 points for maintainence funds when applying for Tier 1 ). Please let me know so that I can build my maintainence funds history for 3 months?

Please help...

abbi123

Post by abbi123 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi,
I will be applying for ILr after april,
is the points criteria just ofr salary? or for all the attributes we claimed points while extention?

salary
age(i think we dont get the same points as we got for extention?)
education
earning in uk

plz seniors through some light and clear me please

Many thanks

salina02

Re: Settlement requirements for PBS migrants from April 2011

Post by salina02 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi Sushdmehta,

Can you please let us know does this apply to pre nov 2006 applicants, as you can see there are many of us waiting for your or any senior member reply.

masoodrab
Newly Registered

Post by masoodrab » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:23 pm

I am in the same boat, the JR policy document clearly says that the ILR to be given under old rules of "economic activity" so hopefully that will be the case and no salary criteria required for people under JR

Saying that even if they apply the new rules, even then although the last extension was for Tier 1 (transitional arrangement) we didn't had to meet any salary criteria so in theory that still means no salary criteria.

lets c what happens!

Thanks sunny for your comments, I think same way, let hope for the best.
I will take this opportunity to ask you whether do we need to maintain our accounts for ILR?? I am asking this question for my reassurance.

Regards.

smaganti

Post by smaganti » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:26 pm

HI All,,

iam on workpermit (not on tier 2) and will be applying for ILR in july.what is the salary requirment for me when i apply for ILR is it the same salary when i applied for workpermit i.e salary in workpermit approval letter..please let me know..

And also i read Damian Greene telling that the rules will be applied for new entries not to the people who are already in UK...so that means we will be under old ILR rules...?

salina02

Post by salina02 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:33 pm

I got HSMP in June 2006 and planning to apply ILR in may 2011.

Please seniors can somone confirm that the pre nov 2006 HSMP applicants has to meet this criteria or NOT.

Regards

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:15 pm

lavkir wrote:The introduction of the Criminality threshold for settlement to bring it more in line with that for citizenship (naturalisation) applicants sounds the deathknell for ILR applicants like me who have unspent motoring convictions. Applicants currently applying for citizenship (naturalisation) have to be clear of all criminal convictions (including motoring).

are you sure your motoring conviction is 'unspent' ?
the rules do allow you to have spent convictions.....

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:21 pm

ilrdilemma wrote:I am eligible to apply for ILR in May, 2010. Does it mean that (assuming if the Apr 2011 rule is implemented the way it was mentioned in Nov, 2010):

1) I need to show the same (or more) earnings as what was previously claimed when i applied for my Tier 1?

2) Would there be any maintainence funds required (since thay have 10 points for maintainence funds when applying for Tier 1 ). Please let me know so that I can build my maintainence funds history for 3 months?

Please help...
if you are on tier 1 it appears that you need to score the same threshold at the time of initial application.
no mention of maintenance funds clearly but i would think that will be a case as well when the final document come out..

mac456
Newly Registered

Post by mac456 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:53 pm

abhijack wrote:

are you sure your motoring conviction is 'unspent' ?
the rules do allow you to have spent convictions.....
if you get a fine(from a court; like magistrates court or crown court) for a motoring offence they are spent AFTER 5 years from date of conviction. According to Nationality guide homeoffice will ignore your minor motoring offences which resulted in minor fine. Please see the AN guideline ( for Nationality ). Dont know if that will be exactly similar for settlement, looks like it will be.

Anyhow I think people with motoring conviction can be refused ILR based on this new threshold (i.e clear of unspent convictions ).

Best to wait for full guidelines ( will be out in March) and see what they write in it.

dewales001

Post by dewales001 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:11 pm

We will reform the current criminality threshold for settlement to bring it more in line with that for citizenship (naturalisation) applicants. All migrants (except refugees) will need to be free of unspent convictions when applying for settlement. Those who are not, and have no other legitimate basis of stay here, will be expected to leave the UK.
This is not practical and totally unfair to migrants who are within months of qualifying for settlement after April 2011. They should have given at least 6 - 12 months TA for migrants who are within months to qualify.

You just don't destroy people lives this way! Where do they expect them to go to within a short period after many years in this country?

To make the matter worse, refugees are exempted from this new rule. This country is a JOKE!!

Why did i come to this country? Why?? :x

sunny1407

Post by sunny1407 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:09 pm

dewales001 wrote:
This is not practical and totally unfair to migrants who are within months of qualifying for settlement after April 2011. They should have given at least 6 - 12 months TA for migrants who are within months to qualify.

You just don't destroy people lives this way! Where do they expect them to go to within a short period after many years in this country?

To make the matter worse, refugees are exempted from this new rule. This country is a JOKE!!

TELL ME ABOUT IT!

I am so annoyed at the moment,
I fall under the JR and that was the same reason ppl went to court at that time, u just cant move the goal post right at the end!!
It says clearly in the JR policy document that ppl should be given ILR under the original terms and the then opposition party member Damian Green agreed with HSMP forum and look what a kick in the balls now!!

Shameful I reckon there will be court cases again or ppl should express their concerns to their MPs as the law is still open to parliament scrutiny.

smaganti

Post by smaganti » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:29 pm

we should defintely raise this issue with MP's as this is ridiculous..we wait for this long and when the time comes they change the rules

tara55
BANNED

WP holders

Post by tara55 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Income requirement
We will introduce a new income requirement for Tier 1 (General), Tier 2 (General) and Work Permit holders applying for settlement. ............

• Tier 2 (General) and Work Permit migrants will need to be paid the appropriate salary for the occupation as set out in the relevant Code of Practice for sponsored skilled workers.

I was reading Income requirements for WP holders. This is very confusing as when I entered in UK on WP, there was no Code of Practice. What should I need to show in income requirement ?[/i]

dewales001

Post by dewales001 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 pm

sunny1407 wrote:
dewales001 wrote:

TELL ME ABOUT IT!

I am so annoyed at the moment,
I fall under the JR and that was the same reason ppl went to court at that time, u just cant move the goal post right at the end!!
It says clearly in the JR policy document that ppl should be given ILR under the original terms and the then opposition party member Damian Green agreed with HSMP forum and look what a kick in the balls now!!

Shameful I reckon there will be court cases again or ppl should express their concerns to their MPs as the law is still open to parliament scrutiny.
I'm ready and fully in support of a challenge to this in a court of law. There is no fairness in the statement of intent at all!!

How can a migrant who has contributed economically to the UK economy through studying or working be refused settlement because of a traffic offence after 5 or 10 years of stay in this country,and a refugee who got a custodial sentence be granted settlement after 5 years?

Where is the fairness that Britain has been known for? This rule should be thrown into the bin, because it is not balance. We should all challenge this rule and fight it out!