ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Spouse Visa Age change

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shade00
Member of Standing

UK Spouse Visa Age change

Post by shade00 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi,

I have been hearing alot of rumours that the uk spouse visa age has changed from 21 years old to 18 years old.

I heard there was a case in december which was won. The law has been changed back to 18 years old but not enforced yet legally.

I contacted a few solicitors and they stated that the law has changed back to 18 years old but will be enforced in 5 weeks.

Some solicitors stated it has not changed others told me differenct things.

Not sure what to do..

Anyone shed some light about this or info you know of..

Thank you

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: UK Spouse Visa Age change

Post by ElenaW » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:22 am

shade00 wrote:Hi,

I have been hearing alot of rumours that the uk spouse visa age has changed from 21 years old to 18 years old.

I heard there was a case in december which was won. The law has been changed back to 18 years old but not enforced yet legally.

I contacted a few solicitors and they stated that the law has changed back to 18 years old but will be enforced in 5 weeks.

Some solicitors stated it has not changed others told me differenct things.

Not sure what to do..

Anyone shed some light about this or info you know of..

Thank you
Yes the Quilla appeal was succesful

http://freemovement.wordpress.com/2010/ ... -succeeds/

So the solicitors are right that said it's changing back. However, applications will still probably get refused for those under 21 at the current time.

shade00
Member of Standing

Post by shade00 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 am

So i guess we will have to wait until the law is legally out.

My wife is 19 (at pakistan) and if the law does come out then i could submit my case!!

harv
United Kingdom

Post by harv » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:07 am

I think the only way to work through the current laws would be to get lucky and get a refusal with the right of apeal and win the case through the apeal. As I understand currently when an application is refused due to age restrictions the appelant is not given the right of apeal. So if you are lucky and get the right of apeal you may win your case in court and get visa. Otherwise wait for your partner to turn 21.
Feb 2012 - Spouse Visa - New Delhi
Mar 2012 - Documents collected - VISA Granted
March 2014 - ILR Granted
Apr 2015 - Applied for Naturalisation
Nov 2015 - Naturalised

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:25 pm

The regulations aren't yet due to be changed following the appeal as the Home Office is challenging the judgement.
The age is still set at 21.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:58 pm

harv wrote:I think the only way to work through the current laws would be to get lucky and get a refusal with the right of apeal and win the case through the apeal. As I understand currently when an application is refused due to age restrictions the appelant is not given the right of apeal. So if you are lucky and get the right of apeal you may win your case in court and get visa. Otherwise wait for your partner to turn 21.
I would not want to risk it getting married to someone under 21 as yet because as Casa says the age is still 21. The matter is still being challenged by UKBA through the courts and this could take some time yet.

You dont want to get married to someone underage and then spend years being apart from one another :wink:

jalebi

Post by jalebi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:39 pm

I had heard the same that the age had been changed but I guess it's just people getting overexcited..

My brother is getting married to someone in Pakistan next month and she is turning 20 in a few months. I hope they hurry up and change the age limit to 18. It's really unfair. :(
Last edited by jalebi on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:05 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

jalebi

Post by jalebi » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:37 pm

So it's a matter of months if not years yet. According to that^

Iman230

Age Restrictions

Post by Iman230 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Has anyone got any updates on changes re-garding age reductions.

I hope common sense prevails!

XnailaX
- thin ice -

Post by XnailaX » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:40 pm

so what happend to cases that were rejected on the basis of the new law changing?..will b able to get reviewed again??...

e.g. mine

jalebi

Post by jalebi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:24 pm

jalebi wrote:I had heard the same that the age had been changed but I guess it's just people getting overexcited..
Another person today told me that it's changing next month i.e. April.

Iman230

Post by Iman230 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Did the person who mentioned this quote you where the story was founded from?

Because I am interested wether the age will be raised, or decreased. Because I am applying for my Wife who will be 21 in June, I just couldnt wait for another increase.....

Anyone care to clarify?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:55 am

Iman230

Post by Iman230 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:31 pm

It says the appeal won't be made till 8 or 9th of June, whereby my spouse will turn 21 anyway, so it would be irrelevant if the appeal was successful. It would be a case of bad timing from the Home Office, and it would not replace the time away from my wife....

Whatever the outcome, lets hope its a good one for the couples for the future.....

taufeeq85
Newly Registered

Under 21 Marriage UK Law

Post by taufeeq85 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:39 am

I am in the situation where my fiance is under 21 and am over 21 but due to the unfair and disgraceful law of this country (i.e. U.K.) we cannot get married and live in the U.K. where i currently live and work.

I did hear a few rumours spreading around that the law might be changed back to 18 from the ridiculous age of 21. In my opinion once a person reaches 18 they are old and ugly enough to decide what they want and can make independent decisions but the current UK Marriage Law is restricting genuine people who want to get married and join their partners in the UK just because one or both of them are under the age of 21!!!!

Can someone let me know as soon as this law is reversed back to the age of 18 so that we can get on with our lives :)

pennylessinindia

Re: Under 21 Marriage UK Law

Post by pennylessinindia » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:27 am

taufeeq85 wrote:I am in the situation where my fiance is under 21 and am over 21 but due to the unfair and disgraceful law of this country (i.e. U.K.) we cannot get married and live in the U.K. where i currently live and work.

I did hear a few rumours spreading around that the law might be changed back to 18 from the ridiculous age of 21. In my opinion once a person reaches 18 they are old and ugly enough to decide what they want and can make independent decisions but the current UK Marriage Law is restricting genuine people who want to get married and join their partners in the UK just because one or both of them are under the age of 21!!!!

Can someone let me know as soon as this law is reversed back to the age of 18 so that we can get on with our lives :)
It is most importantly protecting young people who may not have the freedom to say no to marriage . The law does not prevent the marriage just the route to settlement. . You can get on with your life you can visit or live in your spouses country .

The time will pass quickly and you can apply before she is 21 and ask for it to be issued at 21
pennyless

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Under 21 Marriage UK Law

Post by geriatrix » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:01 pm

taufeeq85 wrote:Can someone let me know as soon as this law is reversed back to the age of 18 so that we can get on with our lives
Keep an eye on this webpage.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

shade00
Member of Standing

Post by shade00 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:13 pm

Yeah i could understand what you are on about there.

I've been waiting now for around a year and a half. Just got the last hurdle to complete before i submit the case next year. Its been very tough indeed.
Compiling the case with this duration is a headache. Contact proof has to track back ever since the marriage. Also a couple of visits to pak had to be done in order to show that we have a close link.

Now its time to compile the main papers next month.

Inshallah all will go well!

xsm0keyx
Newly Registered

Post by xsm0keyx » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:38 pm

if you check out the website http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/news/fut ... ments.html it tells you that the judgement on the case will be announced on Wednesday 12th October. Does anyone know if the appeal is rejected does the law automatically change back to 18 or does it have to go through government first?

chantelleb44
Newly Registered

Post by chantelleb44 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:55 pm

I believe that people, who are in favour for the age requirement to remain at 21, do not understand the situation that people like me have been through. I am 20 years old, I turn 21 in April. I started a relationship with a Brazilian man when I was 18. We worked at the same place and fell in love. His visa was due to expire 6 months after, by this time we were in love. I found out that there was no way to support him for any type of visa as I was only 19 years old at this point.
We were left with no choice, he had to return to Brazil and of course I went with him. I have been living in Brazil now for over one year; I could not go to university or even continue with my life. This situation has caused me depression through being torn away from my family, friends and education. Nobody speaks English here, there is no work or very little for those who are not fluent in Portuguese. I am very alone and spend every day at home. But the only other option was to stay in the Uk without the person that I love.
The majority of people that are affected by this age restriction have another option or speak their “nativeâ€

shade00
Member of Standing

Post by shade00 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:43 pm

I could understand where you are comming from.

I have been waiting for about 2 years aswel. Will be submitting the case next year. Its been a hard period!

chantelleb44
Newly Registered

Post by chantelleb44 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:33 pm

I hope that the law can change soon for all of our sakes. The appeal will be heard tomorrow morning fingers crossed. Good luck with your case :)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:44 am

Supreme Court hands down judgement

Secretary of State loses (4 out of 5 judges rule to dismiss Secretary of State's appeal)!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

samns
Newly Registered

Post by samns » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:12 pm

Very complicated documents.

This means they are not going to change the age limit to 18?