ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry clearance discrimination authorised

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vinny

Entry clearance discrimination authorised

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:33 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:14 pm

People should keep in mind that the United Kingdom is a sovereign nation. They can let anybody into the country they wish for any reason they wish. Likewise they can keep anybody (or kick anybody out) they wish. This is the fundamental right of any sovereign nation. If the UK decides that people from Russia or Pakistan or Namibia don't get visas, then they don't get visas. And to restate, THEY CAN DO THIS FOR ANY REASON THEY LIKE, whether it be skin color, sex, race whatever. It's their country, they don't *have* to let anybody in.

Another point to keep in mind is that this 'discrimination' already exists. There are several non-EU countries whose citizens are allowed in the UK without a visa, and many which are not. Indeed, in order for some people from certain nationalities to merely transit through the United Kingdom, they need a visa. Again that's completely dependent on nationality. Americans don't need such a visa, they can even stay up to six months without any visa issued at all. Afghanistan citizens need a visa even if they are just on a flight that connects through Heathrow for a few hours.

Is it fair? *shrug* Maybe not. But as long as the UK retains its sovereignty (something I think is likely to be the case for a very long time), they can and will discriminate as they see fit.

And the UK isn't the only country doing it. Most Europeans can travel to Turkey without a visa. I, as an American, cannot. An American or Canadian needs a transit visa for Bosnia (something that caught me personally me off-guard when I was traveling through the country by train on my way to Greece), not anybody else in Europe as far as I'm aware. Try being *anybody* visiting Saudi Arabia who has ever traveled to Israel (with the stamp in their passport). Automatic refusal of entry.

It may be draconian, but that is the way of the world right now.

And from my own opinion and point of view, the UK laws regarding immigration are far more lax and 'fair' (that is idealistically trying *not* to discriminate) than most countries in the world are, and by a considerable margin. That is slowly changing now as they simply can't handle that many more people, and I question if they can even handle the numbers they've got now.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 31, 2011 2:14 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.