ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Studies in Dependent visa..

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

baji20
Newly Registered

Studies in Dependent visa..

Post by baji20 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Hi,

I am stunned by the new ILR rules, I was intending to do my Ph.d after I get PR and now thats busted and i cannot wait for one more year. I need some help/suggestions here. Currently I am on a work permit and my also has her WP sponsered by her company.

1. The question is can I become her dependent (Dependent Visa) and study in the UK under dependent permit? i.e. Being in a dependent Visa am i allowed to do MBA or Phd?

2. If i am allowed, by staying in UK 4 years in WP and 1 year in Dependent permit, can I apply for ILR then?

Many thanks, pls. clarify and I would be grateful. I need to plan accordingly.

Thanks Again!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:40 pm

I was intending to do my Ph.d after I get PR and now thats busted and i cannot wait for one more year.
It is totally possible I am missing something obvious but why does the one year delay in getting PR make any difference to whether you do your PhD?

Is it a concern that if you have a student visa that will cause a problem getting ILR?

As regards the answers to your questions, I think the answers are "yes" and "yes". That is, as a dependent you can study, for whatever, and being in the UK for more than three years qualifies you for Home Fees, I think.

As regards the aggregation of time to get to ILR, I think that is OK, but no doubt someone will post if they think that is wrong.
John

baji20
Newly Registered

thanks for the reply...

Post by baji20 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:40 pm

Thanks John 4 your reply.

Actually I read somewhere that if we get PR, we are eligible for some fee-cuts in Uni. I wanted to push of my studies asap but waiting to get PR to start it. Now you have indicated that post-3 years I am eligble. Is there any links that I can be referred to?

Also will it be a problem to get ILR if is get into student category?

smalldog
Ireland

Post by smalldog » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:22 pm

To be recognised as a "home student" you need to have no restrictions on your stay in the UK (ie. have ILR) and to have resided in the EU for the three years before you start your course. At the PhD level, being a home student makes it much easier to get research council funding. Tuition fees for home undergraduates are much lower than international students; I'm not sure if this is the case for higher degrees.

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:47 am

smalldog wrote: Tuition fees for home undergraduates are much lower than international students; I'm not sure if this is the case for higher degrees.
yes this is the case for higher degrees
My bow has been renewed

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:03 am

smalldog wrote:To be recognised as a "home student" you need to have no restrictions on your stay in the UK (ie. have ILR) and to have resided in the EU for the three years before you start your course.
Many thanks for drawing that to the attention of the Board. Yet another side effect of the retrospective change from 4 years to 5 years ... retrospective in the sense that it affects people well into the 4 year period.

Home Fees and Overseas Fees ... distinctly different! My wife is currently doing an Honours Degree here in Birmingham. Given that English is her second language it was totally conceded that the necessary IELTS score would need to be proved. On the basis of the need to do an IELTS test the college assumed she was an Overseas Student and duly quoted £6300 fees for the course. But it was pointed out that in fact she is a Home Student .... British Citizen now ... resident in the UK more than three years ... and after proof of that they conceded she is a Home Student - and the quote got lowered to £1700!
John