ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR eligibility rules - April 2011

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

devmanda1ia

ILR eligibility rules - April 2011

Post by devmanda1ia » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi All,

I keep hearing about changes in April 2011 to eligibility rules for ILR i.e. more than 5 yrs etc.

Is this true? Is there any authenticated source to confirm if there are likely changes in ILR process coming up April 2011?

What do you guys are aware off? Is it likely to affect those working towards 5yrs eligibility?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dev

T1_Mainframe

Post by T1_Mainframe » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:06 pm

They haven't change yet. So no need to look around. Wait till some official information is out.

devmanda1ia

Post by devmanda1ia » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:15 pm

But I am due to give my Life in the UK test.

If I pass now and apply for ILR in Feb 2012 will it make any difference? Do I need to retake the test?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:38 pm

No one can tell you today what the rules may be in the future (e.g. - 2012( regarding settlement.

e.g. -
1. What if the govt. announces further changes to the requirements between April 2011 and the time you become eligible to apply?
2. What if the govt. comes up with a new version of Life in the UK test between now and the time you become eligible to apply, and makes it mandatory for people to pass the version of the test running at the time of their settlement application?

Unfortunately, no one can give an answer for "what if"!

regards

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:39 pm

devmanda1ia wrote:But I am due to give my Life in the UK test.

If I pass now and apply for ILR in Feb 2012 will it make any difference? Do I need to retake the test?
no one can answer that with 100% confidence. if you want to cover yourself then take the test now and you may get lucky with new rules not affecting existing residents. by taking the test you have nothing to lose but £40 or so to take the test.

devmanda1ia

Post by devmanda1ia » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks for your advise. Dev

anubis
BANNED

Post by anubis » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:11 pm

couple of days ago damien green was in pakistan where in a press conference coupled with some other statements he said that they will be cutting the link between students and permanent residency ( 10 year rule ) but as to other routes to Ilr they will be doing a consultation before implementation. I really hope they donot change or scrap the 10 year rule. 10 years is a long time in any ones life

cheers

Manas

Post by Manas » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:03 pm

sushdmehta wrote:No one can tell you today what the rules may be in the future (e.g. - 2012( regarding settlement.

e.g. -
1. What if the govt. announces further changes to the requirements between April 2011 and the time you become eligible to apply?
----------------------------
Unfortunately, no one can give an answer for "what if"!

regards
In this connection, may I ask sushdmehta, whether it is a standard practice of the U.K. government to put new immigration rules into effect from the month of April only? Well, I know that the previous govt's proposed Earned Citizenship was due to come into effect from July 2011, but that Act gained Royal Assent 2 years earlier (on 21 July 2009). Otherwise, what we have seen so far pertaining to Immigration rules (including the recent announcements of immigration cap, abolishing T1G, Settlement rules change etc.), all these changes/amendments in Immigration rules take effect from April only. Is there any particular (legal?) reason behind this fact of introducing new immigration rules/laws from the month of April only?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:47 am

Manas wrote:Otherwise, what we have seen so far pertaining to Immigration rules (including the recent announcements of immigration cap, abolishing T1G, Settlement rules change etc.), all these changes/amendments in Immigration rules take effect from April only.
An assumption without basis. IMHO!

regards

Manas

Post by Manas » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:31 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
Manas wrote:Otherwise, what we have seen so far pertaining to Immigration rules (including the recent announcements of immigration cap, abolishing T1G, Settlement rules change etc.), all these changes/amendments in Immigration rules take effect from April only.
An assumption without basis. IMHO!
regards
Thanks for the information.
However, one wonders, why, even after coming to a conclusion on the exact numbers at which non-EU economic migrants are to be capped in November 2010, the same rule is proposed to be put in place on/from 6th April 2011!!