ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling with approval letter without BRP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cwhnt11

Traveling with approval letter without BRP

Post by cwhnt11 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:10 am

HO approved my visa and sent me the confirmation letter and my passport back. And I am planning to travel tomorrow and I already told them that I will be traveling (actually thats the reason my visa was approved this quickly) and they said its ok for you to travel without your BRP since its an urgent travel and you have a confirmation letter. And I have realized that they changed the procedure and we wont have any sticker on the passport but will have the visa on BRP. So i dont have anything confirming my visa except the UKBA letter. Do you think its very risky to leave the UK at the moment? My flight is tomorrow!!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:28 am

The letter is not the visa - the BRP is.

Had a letter been sufficient to travel, no one would require a visa in the passport / BRP. Everyone would be travelling with a blank passport and letter(s)!

regards

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:32 am

What is the urgent situation and who has told you you can travel without the Brp.

cwhnt11

Post by cwhnt11 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:58 am

tier 1 case-worker told me that i can travel. the urgent issue is the conference and thats the reason i wrote them so they approved my visa this fast.

and it does not say that you cannot travel on the letter, it does say you are not advised to make any travel arrangements before receiving brp.

so shall i travel or not?

cwhnt11

Post by cwhnt11 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:40 pm

the safest option is not to travel in this circumstances i assume.
im going to the airport now will talk to the flight company and the people at the security check. if they tell me they wont let me in with this letter i wont be traveling. thanks for your answers.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Departure from UK:
The IO at departure port in UK may not even bother to check if you have the ability to return to UK since UK doesn't bother with immigration control at exit. The airline may not have an objection if you are travelling to a country for which you have a visa or citizenship.

Departure from destination country back to UK:
The Immigration Officers may not let you pass through border control without a valid "visa" of the destination country (UK). The airlines may not let you board the flight without a valid "visa" for the destination country.

So, be careful about what (all) you must enquire - before you get on to an outbound flight - to ensure a hassle-free return to the UK.

regards

cwhnt11

Post by cwhnt11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:10 am

thanks all for your replies.
before closing this topic i want to add my last comment. noone should ever travel without brp in hand even though some UKBA staff would tell you its possible (this is true story). Well, my story is a long story but I did travel back to the UK without my BRP but its totally not advisable. Actually, entering the border in the UK is not a problem, but its a big trouble with the flight company and the country that you are departing from-there is a risk of stucking in that country.

hysw1223
Newly Registered

Post by hysw1223 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi cwhnt11

When did you receive ur BRP card after approval letter?

simonong
Newly Registered

Post by simonong » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 pm

I am also in a similar situation and was wondering whether there was hassle exiting and actually entering back into the UK cwhnt11?

My situation is:

Current Tier 1 (General) visa expires early May but I got an extension successfully approved at the Croydon PEO last Wednesday (March 14th). I was advised the BRP typically arrives 2-5 working days after approval but I have not received it yet.

I urgently need to travel this Saturday for a week and was thus wondering whether this will still be possible, like INSIDER said above, just to present the approval letter would be sufficient on arrival back to the UK?

The current Tier 1 (General) visa in the Passport was not crossed out so still shows early May as when it expires. I do not know (or should I say won't know) until the BRP arrives whether the extension will start from the date of approval (i.e. March 14th) or from the expiration date. The approval occurred just under 8 weeks before expiration so not sure if that has any influence?

Appreciate your thoughts on the above!

mishmash
Newly Registered

Re: Traveling with approval letter without BRP

Post by mishmash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:30 am

Hi simonong

How did you go with your visa? I'm in a similar situation - have to travel tomorrow!

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Traveling with approval letter without BRP

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:15 pm

mishmash wrote:Hi simonong

How did you go with your visa? I'm in a similar situation - have to travel tomorrow!

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks
This topic is from 2011/12. Kindly refrain from digging up 6 year old threads. Also you should not travel without your BRP otherwise how else will you board a plane and re-enter the UK.

Suggest start your own topic with your details/circumstances.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.