ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aaa123
BANNED

Tier 1 extension

Post by aaa123 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:44 pm

hi,

my tier 1 (general) extension is due in july 2012 but i would like to apply for it in later part of this year, say september or october time - is it possible?

thanks

pkumar
Member of Standing

Re: Tier 1 extension

Post by pkumar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:37 pm

It is possible. But it is like biting your own foot because you will definitely need to do 2nd extension as the new rule laid to case worker states them to issue visa from date of application if applied earlier than 28 days rather than expiry date of visa. though applying 1-2 month earlier is fine.

Read this along with the link mentioned: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=72822

aaa123
BANNED

Post by aaa123 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:05 pm

pkumar wrote:It is possible. But it is like biting your own foot because you will definitely need to do 2nd extension as the new rule laid to case worker states them to issue visa from date of application if applied earlier than 28 days rather than expiry date of visa. though applying 1-2 month earlier is fine.

Read this along with the link mentioned: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=72822
but my visa expires in july 2012 and i already have 1 year on work permit so when i m given extension in 2012 it will take me one year beyond ilr eligibility hence the reason applying 6-7 months earlier, as this will take me beyond ilr eligibility for 6 months....please still advise. my history:

work permit: july 2008
tier 1 general: july 2009 (period 3 yrs; extension due july 2012)
ilr due : july 2013
tier 1 general-extension will take me to july 2014 i.e. 1 yr post ilr but applying in september/october this year will take me 6-7 months ilr due date - hence the reason applying earlier!

please advise...

thanks

bani

Post by bani » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:55 pm

aaa123 wrote:
pkumar wrote:It is possible. But it is like biting your own foot because you will definitely need to do 2nd extension as the new rule laid to case worker states them to issue visa from date of application if applied earlier than 28 days rather than expiry date of visa. though applying 1-2 month earlier is fine.

but my visa expires in july 2012 and i already have 1 year on work permit so when i m given extension in 2012 it will take me one year beyond ilr eligibility hence the reason applying 6-7 months earlier, as this will take me beyond ilr eligibility for 6 months....please still advise. my history:

tier 1 general-extension will take me to july 2014 i.e. 1 yr post ilr but applying in september/october this year will take me 6-7 months ilr due date - hence the reason applying earlier!

please advise...

thanks
If you have a very good reason why this is convenient for you, such as you want to resign from your job later this year after Sept-Oct, then OK, do it.

Otherwise, wait until as close as you can to July 2012. That way IF they change the residency requirement to 6 years, you don't need another extension. As someone who's been here since 2004 and seen so many surprise immigration rule changes and increasing fees, my advise is to time your extensions to give yourself the most advantage.

Good luck.

aaa123
BANNED

Post by aaa123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 am

bani wrote:
aaa123 wrote:

please advise...

thanks
If you have a very good reason why this is convenient for you, such as you want to resign from your job later this year after Sept-Oct, then OK, do it.

Otherwise, wait until as close as you can to July 2012. That way IF they change the residency requirement to 6 years, you don't need another extension. As someone who's been here since 2004 and seen so many surprise immigration rule changes and increasing fees, my advise is to time your extensions to give yourself the most advantage.

Good luck.
Thanks. but should not the ilr requirements for me stay as they were when i applied for the tier 1 visa ?? other thing applying for extension merely 1-2 months earlier leaves you in confusion that if application is rejected then not much of the chance/time is left for launch of the fresh application....thanks

manojk005

Post by manojk005 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:17 am

aaa123 wrote:

please advise...

thanks
You will get extension for 2 years rather than 3 years.

aaa123
BANNED

Post by aaa123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:41 am

manojk005 wrote:
aaa123 wrote:

please advise...

thanks
sorry sir did not understand...in my above statements i am never relying on 3 yrs extension...

could you please reply to my last message as well - about "could be" 6 yrs to ilr issue!

thanks

manojk005

Post by manojk005 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:26 pm

aaa123 wrote:
manojk005 wrote:
aaa123 wrote:

please advise...

thanks
sorry sir did not understand...in my above statements i am never relying on 3 yrs extension...

could you please reply to my last message as well - about "could be" 6 yrs to ilr issue!

thanks
You can apply 28 days in advance before you complete 5 years residency. If ILR rules or your situation changes dramatically then it is worth applying earlier extension. Now UKBA is also talking about earning criteria for ILR but rules are yet to be published. So better to wait until they publish it or change number of years.