ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Combination of immigration categories advice please!

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Terenze
BANNED

Combination of immigration categories advice please!

Post by Terenze » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by Terenze on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xyz123

Post by xyz123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:43 pm

It depends on what visa do you have in future.

If you marry a british citizen, you can change your visa using FLR(M) form and that will give you 2 year spouse visa. After living togather for 2 years in UK (and providing evidence for that) you can get your ILR. If you go down this route you do not need to wait for 5 years.

If you get married but dont change your visa that it's likely that you will have to wait till completing 5 years on work permit (note that 5 year duration is subject to rule changes)

Terenze
BANNED

Post by Terenze » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Thanks xyz123.

So i wouldn't be able to combine 4 years WP + 1 year spouse visa for ILR?

When you say 5 year duration is subject to rule changes, what does that mean? Are they going to change immigration rules again?

Thanks!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Terenze wrote:So i wouldn't be able to combine 4 years WP + 1 year spouse visa for ILR?
No (287).
Terenze wrote:Are they going to change immigration rules again?
Rules may be changed as and when govt. wishes to change them.

What xyz123 meant by his statement, IMHO, is that you'll be assessed as per rules applicable to you on the day of application .. so if rules regarding qualifying residential period change in the future and any such changes affect the immigration category that you will apply for settlement under, then these changes may affect you too!

regards

d_seng
Newly Registered

Re: Combination of immigration categories advice please!

Post by d_seng » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:37 pm

Terenze wrote:Initially i am thinking to apply for a spouse visa. During the time of my application, it will be around Jan 2013, which means another 1 year left for my WP route.
Sorry to jump in, point no. 5 in the guidance for FLR(M) for "When to Apply" reads "You and any children under 18 applying with you should apply before the end of your/their permitted stay in the UK.".

Are you sure you will be allowed to apply before that?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:29 am

One can switch as and when /after one becomes eligible to - in this case, the point of eligibility is marriage to a British citizen.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!