ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Public Benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

email257525
BANNED

Public Benefits

Post by email257525 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:59 am

Dear Members

I am on tier one general & I have recently made redundant. I know i can not claim benefits (Public Funds) as it is written on my visa that no resourse to public funds. But when I look on the ukba web page they say certain type of benefits are not considered as public funds. Does this mean I can claim those funds Like contribution based job seaker allowance.
I am leaving the web link here
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while ... blicfunds/

Can you please advise me should I claim it or not? Will it have any effect when I apply for extention.

Looking forward to hear from you soon

Regards

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:47 am

Contribution based JSA is fine, claim if you are entitled.

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Re: Public Benefits

Post by mtuckersa » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:49 am

email257525 wrote:Dear Members

I am on tier one general & I have recently made redundant. I know i can not claim benefits (Public Funds) as it is written on my visa that no resourse to public funds. But when I look on the ukba web page they say certain type of benefits are not considered as public funds. Does this mean I can claim those funds Like contribution based job seaker allowance.
I am leaving the web link here
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while ... blicfunds/

Can you please advise me should I claim it or not? Will it have any effect when I apply for extention.

Looking forward to hear from you soon

Regards
this is a useful link, just to add to this for anyone else's benefit. You can also use the free 15 hours per week childcare when you child turns 3, this will offset some of the childminding costs that some people may incur.

Also there is 1 week of statutory Paternity leave one can claim

email257525
BANNED

JSA

Post by email257525 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi

Thank you for all your replies, does it mean In the eyes of Home Office and Visa extention purposes contribution based Job seekr allowance does not consider as public benefits?

Will I need to mention on my visa extention application that I claimed benefits and explain which one and why

Please clarify

Many thanks.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Contribution-based JSA is not within the definition of Public Funds, as in para 6 of the Immigration Rules. In fact no contribution-based benefits are within that definition. So no problem claiming.

Income-based JSA is within the Public Funds definition, so must not be claimed, well not before you have ILR.
John