ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non British National getting married with US Citizen in UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Time Traveller
Newly Registered

Non British National getting married with US Citizen in UK

Post by Time Traveller » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Dear All,

I have a few questions with regards to my marriage in United Kingdom.

I am a 30 years old male Pakistani national living and working in United Kingdom on Post Study Visa which is due to expire in July 2012.

My fiancé is a US Citizen who lives in USA. We are intending to get married in United Kingdom in June 2011. After the marriage we both intend to stay in UK till the time my Visa in UK remains valid.

In this scenario I have a few questions to ask and would really appreciate if you could reflect your expert opinion on this issue.

1.Do I have to obtain Certificate of Approval (COA) for myself even if I am getting married to a Non UK Citizen?
2.Being a US Citizen my fiancé can travel to UK and stay for six months without obtaining a visa from British Embassy in US. In order to get married to me in UK does she need to obtain any formal visa from US Embassy? If yes, does she also need to apply for a COA prior to applying for UK visa?
3.Once we get married in UK is it possible for my fiancé (future wife) to apply for Dependent Visa while in UK or is it must for her to travel back to US and apply for the visa at British Embassy in US?

I have tried to search for these answers on Home Office websites and read the guidance forms but have become more confused. I would really appreciate if you answer these questions for so that I may be guided in the right direction.

Regards
Time traveller

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:06 pm

If you read this UKBA document you will see that the Government intends to abolish the CoA scheme, indeed "We expect the scheme to end in spring 2011, subject to parliamentary scrutiny."

But when exactly? No one knows, yet, which is not very helpful to you is it, given you intend to "get married in United Kingdom in June 2011".
John

sjimoh112

Post by sjimoh112 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:14 am

Although the scheme will be abolished but in the main time you'll have to apply for CoA. As for your fiance she should be able to apply for CoA once she arrived in uk.

After getting married, if she's got time left from her 6 months stay she can apply as a dependant of a person living in uk.
[Moderator Edit]

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:12 pm

If your partner will be travelling to the UK with the intention of marrying you, then she should apply for a marriage visit visa. Otherwise she may be refused at the border if she is asked what the purpose of her visit is.

After you are married she can't switch to become a Tier 1 PSW dependant inside the UK: she will hsve to go back to the US and apply from there.

Have you considered marrying in the US? She could then apply to come to the UK as your dependant straight away.

mwaqas

Post by mwaqas » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi why not just samply get merriage in your back home country then you can apply dependant visa for her. back home is straight forward.