ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query-How to handle job agencies

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

anandpathak

Query-How to handle job agencies

Post by anandpathak » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Hi Folks,
I am in UK from past 6 months on deputation from India but on Tier 1 Visa.I am exploring job opportunities with start dates in April end.
I have a niche skill in SAP and as per Indian standards an excellent profile. Alas all that appear in the past :( . I have started looking for job opportunities in UK from last 2-3week and things looks to be pretty different. Not even single technical interviews scheduled yet
I am more interested in contract roles. (I do not say NO to permanent position enquiries)
After floating my resume , I received several calls for "URGENT" requirements , Every job Consultant "appreciating" my profile , explaining the JD and the client (NOT asking stupid questions like reference and other places applied)) asking for CV , with a proper CONSENT MAIL that I have not applied to particular client in past through any other agency. Silence after that. I have not received response after that from anywhere , Its almost 2-3 weeks . If I send them follow up mail, they respond saying awaiting response.
Now the problem.
1.Should I have any option other than trusting the Agent that my resume have been actually forwarded?
2. In the SILENT period , I do get calls from other agencies (appearing more influential) for the same client and JD , but they ask "Have you applied for this client before and want a CONSENT MAIL. How should i respond to this question when I have not heard from the previous Consultant for a long time. The New guy says he will arrange my technical interview in next 2-3 days if you send me your resume quickly and you havent applied for the same position earlier. Should I lie to him? And if yes, what are the implications and what can be my excuse on getting caught.(Proper written consent mails)
3. How many days it should generally take from CV submission to scheduling of interview for a contract/permanent position.
4. I am using jobserve.co.uk and Cwjobs . Any other recommendation!
5. How should I approach the job market in future? Your advice on this

You help is highly appreciated.

Cheers
Anand

Aani

Post by Aani » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi Anand,

I am not an expert, but my 2 cents which could help you.

1. This isn't new. You are facing the actual UK job recruitment process. The recruitment process is not as it happens in India wherein you get call today, tomorrow interview and in a day or 2 you will have the offer in hand. This is not the way it works here. The process is really slow.

2. Also, most of the interviews will not be pure technical. Sometimes, it will be a formal conversation abt your past experience and little bit of technical skill.

3. Try indeed.co.uk. It list the jobs from all the job sites.

4. I still remember the recruitment process for the job for which I am working now, I almost forgot that I applied for the job. It was almost a month after which I applied I got a call from the consultant and scheduling an interview. That is how it happens.

Patience is the only weapon. Keep trying and one day success will be yours,

Regards,
Aani

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:51 am

Few points I'd like to add that many seem to miss out when dreaming of contracts and great daily rates -

1. Getting into contracting is not that easy....recruiters tend to pick only those with prior contracting experience. If you dont have one its quite difficult or you may end up getting a really low daily rate which makes no sense
2. On the other side, contracting is a career killer. Top companies dont tend to hire contractors into good roles because of the nature of the job. The assumption is the person is just waiting for the next 'big' contract and will leave anytime. Contractors also dont tend to grow their skillsets as they only do one specific role and have no commitments to broaden their skills. While there are those who have moved from contracting to perm roles mainly due to their excellent and niche skills, most contractors often get into a perm role with a huge pay cut no where close to their previous high daily rates.
3. Contracting also stagnates your level. If you start contracting as an architect or BA or anything and work for 5 years, you will still only be at that level at the end of 5 years. If you were in a perm role 5 years would take you to a Manager or even Senior Manager role which automatically pushes your earnings up.

Finally, while contracting you do not get any added benefits - paid leave, life insurance, medicals, discounts, private pension, trainings n certifications etc are all not included. So make sure you count these as opportunity costs when going for contracts.

There is no point contracting for £250 a day working 11 months and making £60500 a year if you have a perm offer for around £48k to £55k. Of for that matter if a contract offer comes at £500 a say but only for 6 months and you end up not getting anything else for the next 6 months its useless - trust me, it works out pretty much the same end of the day and saves you the constant tension of worrying where your next contract will come from.

KP

anandpathak

Post by anandpathak » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks a lot Aani for your valuable inputs. Kenfrapin for your frank assesment is well appreciated. From the forum inputs I understand that Contracting is a high gain - high Risk venture and thus would like to prepare myself in best posisble way in which the forum's inputs add lot of values. I am leaving a decent paying (45K+) salary job for contracting thus concerned with the uncertain days to come :)

Could you pls help me in answering my primary query ..should I tell and WRITE in Email a FALSIFYing STATEMENT to a consultant that I have not applied to the position before for the same client. As I havent herd from hims from past one week. Whats are the implications and what could be my Alibi.

Cheers
Anand

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:50 pm

@anandpathak

To your question, regarding if you should lie and write a falsifying statement, NO, you shouldn't, if your consultant A has really submitted you to the client as he has claimed.

If consultant A provides feedback saying they are 'awaiting response' then that is probably really the case. They have no need to hold you up without submitting your profile to the client.

If they don't respond when you ask for feedback, then it's not a good sign. Then you could write a mail asking for confirmation that they have submitted you for the particular client, as you plan to apply directly. If they don't respond to this either, then you are free to apply through the other consultant.

Genuine recruiters, usually come back promptly to at least tell you that there is no feedback yet.

But note, it's never a good idea to submit you twice for the same position. So if you have been submitted by consultant A, then you should tell consultant B that you have already been submitted.

All the best,
LC

sureshep

Post by sureshep » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Anand,

You had just waited for 2-3 weeks. It is very less time of waiting when it compared to UK job market.

Last October 15th - I started job searching finally I got the contract with daiy rates on Jan 2nd week.

I too come from SAP background with functional & technical skillsets background.

Here - the process is very very very slow. You can't get a job on landing.
Forget about SAP, Mainframes, Peoplesoft/BAN etc - every technology is tough is here in terms of getting a job.

I am not disappointing you - I had in similar situation where no single agency come back to me. Even though keep following up/remainding.

Sometimes, one of the agency calls and says will you will be available to join next week ? Will you ready to relocate ??
This is very urgent requirement & need to start early.

And I use to think - howcome there is this much of urgency without any interview dates finalization/screening etc.,

Finally, after sending all my profile details - I didn't heard anything from them.

So, just need to wait. As above member said - Patience is weapon.
That's it.

Good luck for all your hard work & securing a job.