ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming a Housing Benefit Question

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Khadar
Newly Registered

Claiming a Housing Benefit Question

Post by Khadar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:20 pm

A friend of mine has an ILR and works 16 hours per week.
He lived with his British wife and has a five month baby.His wife is a full time Nursing student.
He wants to know if he is eligible to claim a housing benefit(Rent support).
Your kind assistance is appreciated.

Khadar
Newly Registered

Re: Claiming a Housing Benefit Question

Post by Khadar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Khadar wrote:A friend of mine has an ILR and works 16 hours per week.
He lived with his British wife and has a five month baby.His wife is a full time Nursing student.
He wants to know if he is eligible to claim a housing benefit(Rent support).
Your kind assistance is appreciated.
Any response to the able question, please????

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:49 pm

If the wife is British and he has ILR then they both have recourse to public funds.

Chuks
Newly Registered

Benefits and ILR

Post by Chuks » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:11 am

Hello,
I really appreciate the help this site offers. Please i have this issue worrying me. I am a non EEA married and wife is british, Recently i found out she has been rceiving council tax benefit and housing benefit as well as other ones that i dont know, and am due to apply for ILR, My visa says NO RECOURSE TO PUBLIC FUND. I have been working and making some money that is enough for a family to survive. How will this affect me?

Thanks everyone for helping!

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: Benefits and ILR

Post by mochyn » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Chuks wrote:Hello,
I really appreciate the help this site offers. Please i have this issue worrying me. I am a non EEA married and wife is british, Recently i found out she has been rceiving council tax benefit and housing benefit as well as other ones that i dont know, and am due to apply for ILR, My visa says NO RECOURSE TO PUBLIC FUND. I have been working and making some money that is enough for a family to survive. How will this affect me?

It will not affect you at all.
Your wife is entitled to benefits and if you are on a spousal visa you have the right to work.
So you can apply for ILR without any worries

Chuks
Newly Registered

Post by Chuks » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Thank you Mochyn,
According to the home office rules, I have to show that neither me or my wife has been living without any benefit. She was recently visited by the authority and was told she will be prosecuted. Does this mean that the rule from the home office conerning living without benefit has been breached.
The authority said her status changed after she got married but she never let them know

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:33 pm

Chuks wrote:Thank you Mochyn,
According to the home office rules, I have to show that neither me or my wife has been living without any benefit. She was recently visited by the authority and was told she will be prosecuted. Does this mean that the rule from the home office conerning living without benefit has been breached.
The authority said her status changed after she got married but she never let them know
Your wife is entitled to claim benefits however she cannot claim additional benefits due to you being in the country, and she needs to tell the authorities if you are living with her and about any income you have.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Benefits and ILR

Post by Greenie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:34 pm

mochyn wrote:
Chuks wrote:Hello,

It will not affect you at all.
Your wife is entitled to benefits and if you are on a spousal visa you have the right to work.
So you can apply for ILR without any worries
Well it may effect him if the wife has not told the benefits agency about the fact they are living together and if she hasn't declared his income.

Chuks
Newly Registered

Post by Chuks » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:35 am

Thank you guys for your reply.
I like to think that it is wrong for her to do that since she should have told the authority that her status has changed. Please do you guys know what i should do next because i dont want to run into trouble for what i did nt know.
Please help.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:29 am

I like to think that it is wrong for her to do that since she should have told the authority that her status has changed
She needs to tell the relevant office of her change of circumstances .... as soon as possible. At the moment she is committing benefit fraud, and she needs to put that right .... before there is a knock on the front door early one morning. Far better she contacts them first.
John

Chuks
Newly Registered

Post by Chuks » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Thank you John,
The issue on the ground is that the authorities found out and came to her, i believe there will be court sessions and stuff but my question still remains what will be the fate of my ILR?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:47 am

Ouch! But as regards your future ILR application, I suspect there will be no effect at all.
John

Chuks
Newly Registered

Post by Chuks » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:18 pm

I hope so, Thank you very much John and everyone that answered my question. I keep you guys posted.