ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Letter from employer - Ambiguous Guidance?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nafe12

Letter from employer - Ambiguous Guidance?

Post by nafe12 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:04 pm

The guidance says:

You must send a letter on company headed paper from your current and/or previous employer(s) which clearly shows:

your earnings during period claimed; and
the date and amount of each payment; and
your gross and net pay; and
that it is dated after the period for which earnings are being claimed.
My question - what is the difference between:
a) "your earnings during period claimed", and
b) "your gross and net pay".

Surely "gross pay" (i.e. b) covers earnings during the period claimed (i.e. a)???

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:45 pm

I am completely lost after reading your question.........

nafe12

Post by nafe12 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Sorry - I didn't express myself well.

The UKBA website says that the employer's letter must show :
"earnings during the period" AND "gross and net pay".

This seems to imply that they are separate things.

But I thought that "gross pay" would be the same as "earnings during that period"? If they are, then it's not clear why they are listed separately...

rajani1981

Post by rajani1981 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:35 am

nafe12 wrote:Sorry - I didn't express myself well.

The UKBA website says that the employer's letter must show :
"earnings during the period" AND "gross and net pay".

This seems to imply that they are separate things.

But I thought that "gross pay" would be the same as "earnings during that period"? If they are, then it's not clear why they are listed separately...
And unfortunately there is a noble reason behind this. If you have ever been employed by an employer and that employer is not yourself, then there are a couple of things one being something called as 'Payslip' and other being method of payments to you (employee) via Bank transfer(if you have bank account) OR via cheque payment and in both the cases you will be having a Bank Account which shows the actual amount you received after all deductions (such as income tax and your personal deductions) and Income tax is something which you have to pay, at least in UK/US (and I dont want to refer to third world countries).
You dont need to be an Einstein if you have ever employed and I request moderators not to ban me because I am not abusing any one but only helping some one in need and if that needy is trying to pull my legs I am no way respocible.

nafe12

Post by nafe12 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:56 am

You dont need to be an Einstein if you have ever employed
Rajani1981 - Just because you don't understand a question, does not mean it is trivial. There is no need for that tone.

The issue here is one of definition and interpretation.

On the UKBA webpage that describes the requirements for the employer's letter, which I have quoted in my first post, lists four separate criterion that must be fulfilled for the letter to be considered as valid.

The issue is that (my interpretation of) the first criteria "your earnings during period claimed;" and the third criteria "your gross and net pay;" are the same.
This is because my understanding is that the earnings during the period WILL BE your gross pay. That is they are the same.
If that is the case, it is unclear why they are listed as separate requirements that need to be fulfilled.

The reason for this post is to check whether this is correct.

teddy0409

Post by teddy0409 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 am

You must send a letter on company headed paper from your current and/or previous employer(s) which clearly shows:

your earnings during period claimed; and
the date and amount of each payment; and
your gross and net pay; and
that it is dated after the period for which earnings are being claimed.

If you prefer to send Employer Letter with Payslips to claim earning (for example £30000)

Your employer have to mention the following in the letter,

Your yearly earning - (A) Gross pay (before tax) £30000 (You can claim points for this value)

(B) Net pay (After tax) £22,624.20

Ask your employer to specify all the three with out fail
(1) Annual Income (This should match your 12 months payslips)
(2) Gross Pay (Before Tax - Same as Annual Income)
(3) Net pay (After Tax)
If Not We, Then Who?

bubin123
Member of Standing

Post by bubin123 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:10 am

The first one is for whole income (gross) for the total period and the 2nd one is for the individual payments (Weekly or monthly or any other frequency).

nafe12

Post by nafe12 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:45 pm

thanks!

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:25 pm

nafe12 wrote:thanks!
This letter is also irrelevant if you have payslips.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am

I read it as separate things and if they happen to overlap, then so be it:

They need to know your earnings in the period (that would be gross earnings and probably a total). This is used to allocate points for earnings.

Then, for each period, you need to show gross and net earnings so that the gross earnings can be cross-validated to your bank statements. This is to ensure that you were actually paid the money you claimed as total earnings.

As you can see, the requirements are listed for different purposes. I used a letter in my application breaking down the monthly net and gross payments and showing a total earnings at the bottom. Each of the net amounts corresponded exactly to my bank statements and each of the gross amounts added up to the total amount which I used to claim points.