ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time out of Canada

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Barbosa
Newly Registered

Time out of Canada

Post by Barbosa » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:52 am

Hello,

I´ve got the Canadian PR Visa and already landed in Canada in early February. I was there only for 2 weeks, to "validate" my visa and request the PR Card (which I already received).

I came back to my country and my doubt is: how long can I be out of Canada without losing my Permanent Resident Status? If I lose it, is it possible to appeal or I have to start a new process.

I can´t go to Canada now, because I´m trying to be trasferred to Canada by the company I work in my country, but it might take me some time.

Thanks in advance

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:10 am

1. To maintain PR you must be physically present in Canada for 2 years (730 days) in every 5 year period.

2. Exceptions to the above apply where you are accompanying a Canadian Citizen spouse.

3. Other exceptions include employment in the armed forces or federal government.

4. CIC can consider compelling circumstances where the residence period is not met - the threshold for this is high to include matters such as death in the family, severe medical issues etc.

5. If PR lost you need to start from scratch and meet the rules in place then.

6. It may be best to risk it in Canada than waiting for a transfer if such will compromise your PR and you still value the status.

Note your PR Card is merely a status document - many make the mistake that its validity (usually 5 yrs) equates to the time you may be absent from Canada.