ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Copy statements - really an issue?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nafe12

Copy statements - really an issue?

Post by nafe12 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:23 pm

I'd misplaced a statement from last year, so a month ago I went to Barclays and ordered some copy statements.

Of course, the statement pages just look like ancient computer printouts - though it does have the bank name/branch up the top (in normal font).

The cover letter for the statements says that
"Due to the way in which we reproduce your statements, you'll notice that they are not an exact duplicate of your original, but the information is the same"
The day after I received them, I went to my Barclays branch and got them stamped by the teller.

I though this was no problem, but then I've read a few posts that says without the letterhead on each page, that this is an issue.

Can anyone speak from experience? Any advice of things I could try?

Thanks

chosenaik

Post by chosenaik » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:13 pm

Safer to get a letter stating minimum funds held for the period and instant access.

Natwest and HSBC give such letters, not sure about Barclays.

MPI

Re: Copy statements - really an issue?

Post by MPI » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Printouts statements +signature+stamp = original bank statements

IMHO

nafe12

Post by nafe12 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:25 pm

Safer to get a letter stating minimum funds held for the period and instant access.
Ahh this is just for earnings, I have all the statements for my maintenance funds...

Printouts statements +signature+stamp = original bank statements
Actually I only got the stamp.

The guidance says:
Bank statements provided must be on official bank stationery, and must show each of the payments that the applicant is claiming. If the applicant wishes to submit electronic bank statements from an online account he/ she should also provide a supporting letter from the bank on company headed paper confirming that the documents are authentic. Alternatively an electronic bank statement bearing the official stamp of the bank issuing the statements will be accepted. This stamp must appear on every page of the statement. For the purposes of this guidance an online bank account is one that operates solely over the internet and sends their bank statements to their customers electronically (for example over the internet or via email).
What's not clear is whether the stamp applies electronic printouts (which were issued by the bank), or only to 'online bank accounts'.
If it's the latter, then there is NO recourse for a situation where a bank does not issue statements on official statement.

I don't see anything about a signature...

One would expect reasonableness - clearly the rules are to try and ensure that statements are authentic/authorised. We've done all we can - obviously we can't bend bank policies :(

chosenaik

Post by chosenaik » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Pls try and be 100% sure. The ECs are very mechanical in their outlook a use a "checkilst" approcah with absolutely no lateral thinking / common sense.

MPI

Post by MPI » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:02 pm

well , yes sorry , take the signatures out of the equation :

Printouts statements +stamp = original bank statements

I don't know the difference between bank printouts and online printouts really. I can tell you my experience though, I got my statements printed in the bank and stamped in the same branch, and it all worked fine .

t1s2010
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by t1s2010 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:05 pm

and the bank logo...

nafe12

Post by nafe12 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:22 pm

and the bank logo...
Precisely the issue :(

Barclays does not issue copy statements on bank stationary (i.e. a letterhead). They do, however, include a letter stating the format is different to the usual one. And each page has the Bank name/branch, just not the logo...
Apart from getting all these stamped, I can't see what else I can do?

The ones that they can print on the spot only go back 60 days (this statement is from last year) :(

Reading THIS is what got me worried. I vaguely remember that policy guidance is not considered legislation. So I guess there's a JR challenge: rather than the prescriptive (technical) interpretation, that a substantive approach would look at the purpose of the guidance - that is to provide some sort of verifiable statement. If you've done all you can in the circumstances, and given that stamped printouts are acceptable in some instances, you could probably argue a case?

MPI

Post by MPI » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:49 pm

That’s exactly why I switched from Barclays ages ago. My new bank , just give them a call and they produce your original statements for any date any time , posting it in 3 days( there is fiver for charge ofcourse) . But for us in desperate need of documentation , it is well worth money.

chosenaik

Post by chosenaik » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:10 pm

My solicitor had advided me that if the logo is missing, the statements will get rejected. You should push barclays to give you a letter stating the minimum amount held over the period and that it is instant access.

nafe12

Post by nafe12 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:22 pm

I've read some appeal tribunal cases where they've referred to 'duplicate statements' from Barclays. These were accepted. Should be appealable in any case. But what a hassle..
You should push barclays to give you a letter stating the minimum amount held over the period and that it is instant access.
That's only good for maintenance, not for corroborating earnings from many months ago :(

nafe12

Post by nafe12 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:41 pm

Maybe a letter from the bank manager stating:

a) Barclays doesn't give copy statements on Bank Stationary
b) Confirming the date and amounts of the deposits?

Surely that should satisfy the evidentiary requirements?

imprezasti

Post by imprezasti » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Barclays are indeed bastards like that- i am in the same boat. Had my sister cut through my statement accidentally (she never really confessed) but the result is that 20% of 1 page from last august is missing.... Barclays could only offer the printout nonsense. Do you guys think the handicapped original statement would still be accepted despite a missing chunk? No salary deposits were on that chunk anyway..

Thx

teddy0409

Post by teddy0409 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:21 am

Take the policy guidence with you and show to the bank staff

Any bank will give you a letter stating your nature of your enquiry on that particular visit, get that letter.

Take the online printout (if any) or ask for the electronic statement from the bank.

Ask them to stamp with branch code on.

you do not require signature/letterhead/logo if there is a bank stamp and branch code,

But ensure you have received a letter in the banks letterhead stating your enquiry with the staff's detail on that particular visit, banks cannot deny this as it is part of your customer right (Attach this letter with your stamped statement)
If Not We, Then Who?

nafe12

Post by nafe12 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:48 am

teddy0409 - To confirm are you saying so long as there is the branch official stamp, accompanied by a letter stating that a) they can't print (old) statements on letterheads, and b) that the statements (and transfers in question) are correct?

While that makes sense, it didn't help in this case:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... +statement

zahid.ali.anwar
Member of Standing

Re: Copy statements - really an issue?

Post by zahid.ali.anwar » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:26 pm

nafe12 wrote:I'd misplaced a statement from last year, so a month ago I went to Barclays and ordered some copy statements.

Of course, the statement pages just look like ancient computer printouts - though it does have the bank name/branch up the top (in normal font).

The cover letter for the statements says that
"Due to the way in which we reproduce your statements, you'll notice that they are not an exact duplicate of your original, but the information is the same"
The day after I received them, I went to my Barclays branch and got them stamped by the teller.

I though this was no problem, but then I've read a few posts that says without the letterhead on each page, that this is an issue.

Can anyone speak from experience? Any advice of things I could try?

Thanks
The statement to be original, it MUST have the client address. If your address is on it, get it signed and stamped. and keep the original cover letter with it. and sent it for extension. Do highlight the address and entries on the statement. The Barclays duplicate staements are very orthodox type. The date is in the middle column. so highlighting it is the best option.

I have mine extended by doing this small work. If it works for me...will surely work for you.

teddy0409

Post by teddy0409 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:17 pm

teddy0409 - To confirm are you saying so long as there is the branch official stamp, accompanied by a letter stating that a) they can't print (old) statements on letterheads, and b) that the statements (and transfers in question) are correct?

No,
I have mentioned this only for Electronic Document (Online Statement from the Bank or Online Statement printed by yourself)

I have read the case you have linked, which is bit different.

Bank can print your statement up to today when you ask them to print (This is not electronic statement, this is only transaction statement for your reference)
IF bank is willing to print this type of statement, then THEY HAVE TO PRINT IN THEIR LETTER HEAD.

In your case you are asking them to print a statement from months ago,
This will be in their database as generated statement (This is not transaction statement for your reference)

This will be very same as the one you received as original containing your name, address and account details. This can be either stamped or printed in their letter head (if they agree)

In easier words Bank's generate statements for up to 52 transactions or 1 calendar month, if you ask them to print any of these, it will come with your account details, address etc.,

If you want to get the most recent statement then it will show only transaction details,

I hope in the previous case UKBA would have bothered about most recent transaction not printed in the letterhead.
If Not We, Then Who?

nafe12

Post by nafe12 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:12 am

Problem solved - moral of the story, be persistent with Barclays, and explain your position to EVERYONE - eventually someone will listen, take pity, and help :)