ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Why is OANDA and UKBA calculator giving me two different val

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

capricornianz
BANNED

Why is OANDA and UKBA calculator giving me two different val

Post by capricornianz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:52 am

I went to the classic convertor and got the rate for 1 PKR in GBP on a specific date

I got 0.007529

Then I used the entire value instead of 1 and OANDA website gave me an amount

Then I used the points calculator and entered the conversion rate used and the total value after uplift ratio was different to the one on OANDA website.

Anyone experienced this before?

and what is the value to use?

sanjeev.x.kumar

Re: Why is OANDA and UKBA calculator giving me two different

Post by sanjeev.x.kumar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:01 am

capricornianz wrote:I went to the classic convertor and got the rate for 1 PKR in GBP on a specific date

I got 0.007529

Then I used the entire value instead of 1 and OANDA website gave me an amount

Then I used the points calculator and entered the conversion rate used and the total value after uplift ratio was different to the one on OANDA website.

Anyone experienced this before?

and what is the value to use?
Just ignore anyother value. Use only OANDA for conversion, as that is the only calculation which HO uses.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:16 am

Are you talking about the amount before or after applying the uplift ratio? OANDA does not know about uplift ratios.

Also, the value on OANDA does not round the exchange rate before doing the calculation, whereas the rate you are entering into the UKBA calculator is obviously rounded and the calculation is then based on a rounded amount.

And then, as mentioned in my other post, you are probably using the incorrect rate as well - the rate on 28 February from PKR to GBP is 0.00723, not the rate you stated above.

capricornianz
BANNED

Post by capricornianz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:28 am

I just noticed that I was looking at the wrong rate. I was using the summary displayed at the top of the page whereas I should had been looking for the selling rate.

Thanks for pointing it out. So I shall use the conversion rate of 0.007230 and use the UKBA for rest of the calcs and simply refer to whatever value it gives