ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

when to apply for post study

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

culio347
Newly Registered

when to apply for post study

Post by culio347 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi guys,

I have a question if you could please help me figure it out.

I would like to know when would be the best time for me to apply for a post study work visa if you were in my condition.

My visa expires in October 2011 but i can get an extension of 4 months and it wud cost me sum money(£386).

I have a Bachelors degree that was awarded in august 2010 so i can apply for PSW visa as of now (but the 2yrs could be sitting there wasting) as i am currently on a postgraduate degree and wouldnt receive the award until about december or january 2012 so cant apply using postgrad degree until then.

Should i apply for the PSW visa around july/august 2011( just within 12 months of getting my bachelors degree and almost done wit uni) OR should i wait till december/january 2012 when i would be giving a post grad degree to make good use of the PSW visa as this is granted from the point of application and i will not be in uni for the postggrad so can work but the problem is what if i have problems in getting my postgrad degree like dissertian problems.. e.g plagiarism etc

and remember post study work visas is to be cancelled in april 2012 and my bachelors degree would be no longer valid to use for my PSW visa incase problems arise wit postgrad degree around January. 2012 .
PLease Help!!!

Regards

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:51 pm

well, you seem to know pros and cons very well of your situation.

i doubt anyone can tell you something that you dont know already.

its judgement call and you are in the driving seat! so have a think about it and go for that option

culio347
Newly Registered

Post by culio347 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:20 pm

arsenal49 wrote:well, you seem to know pros and cons very well of your situation.

its judgement call and you are in the driving seat! so have a think about it and go for that option

THANKS.. Any wise suggestions would be deeply appreciated and considered.

jason23

Post by jason23 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:58 pm

culio347 wrote:
arsenal49 wrote:well, you seem to know pros and cons very well of your situation.

As suggested earlier it is your personal decision.

In my opinion, the reasons you mention for failing to get your masters degree on time like plagiarism, dissertation problems can be avoided with some planning from now. If you start thinking about your topic, maybe spend some spare time drafting a proposal you will be ahead of the game and shouldn't have any trouble.
On the other hand should you apply in August, you will receive your PSW by say Oct.... I am sure you will be done with your dissertation of your masters and can start working immediately so you should be able to maximise your time under the PSW.
Hope this helps

culio347
Newly Registered

Post by culio347 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:10 pm

jason23 wrote:
culio347 wrote:

As suggested earlier it is your personal decision.

In my opinion, the reasons you mention for failing to get your masters degree on time like plagiarism, dissertation problems can be avoided with some planning from now. If you start thinking about your topic, maybe spend some spare time drafting a proposal you will be ahead of the game and shouldn't have any trouble.
On the other hand should you apply in August, you will receive your PSW by say Oct.... I am sure you will be done with your dissertation of your masters and can start working immediately so you should be able to maximise your time under the PSW.
Hope this helps
Yes it does. Thanks a lot. I would consider applying in august just to be on the safe side. I'd defo still keep up the pace with my dissertation. Thanks