ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canadian with Polish Citizenship moving to Ireland.

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

misiek
Newly Registered

Canadian with Polish Citizenship moving to Ireland.

Post by misiek » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m a 22 years old recent accounting graduate from Canada. I hold two citizenships Polish (lived there for about 15 years) and Canadian. Currently I’m residing in Canada. This summer I would like to go to Dublin, Ireland to apply for an accounting job. My concern is about me getting a job without a work holiday permit. I know that Canadians need the permit to work legally in Ireland for a year. Polish citizens on the other hand can work there legally with no time constraints.

What documents will I need to show in Ireland to prove I’m a Polish Citizen? Is passport enough? I’ve got my Polish Passport but it’s out-dated. Maybe birth certificate? Or maybe a passport is enough as long as it shows that I was born in Poland. Will there be no problems?

Thanks in advanced.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Canadian with Polish Citizenship moving to Ireland.

Post by JAJ » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:57 am

misiek wrote: What documents will I need to show in Ireland to prove I’m a Polish Citizen? Is passport enough? I’ve got my Polish Passport but it’s out-dated. Maybe birth certificate? Or maybe a passport is enough as long as it shows that I was born in Poland. Will there be no problems?
You should get a new Polish passport.

After you arrive in the Republic of Ireland, you may want to get hold of an EEA residence permit from the Irish authorities - start at http://www.justice.ie or http://www.oasis.gov.ie

You don't strictly need this permit as far as I know but it will help to document your status should you want to go for Irish citizenship by naturalisation a number of years down the line.

misiek
Newly Registered

Post by misiek » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:21 am

JAJ wrote: You should get a new Polish passport.
Thanks for your reply.

The problem with me is that I don't know if I can get a Polish passport renewed here in Canada. Maybe I could use my Canadian passport, it says that I was born in Poland on it. Maybe even Polish passport that is out dated, as long as it says that I was born in Poland.

If I can get it renewed in Canada then I will.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:32 am

misiek wrote:
JAJ wrote: The problem with me is that I don't know if I can get a Polish passport renewed here in Canada. Maybe I could use my Canadian passport, it says that I was born in Poland on it. Maybe even Polish passport that is out dated, as long as it says that I was born in Poland.

If I can get it renewed in Canada then I will.

They will almost certainly not accept anything other than a valid Polish passport. Contact the Polish Embassy in Canada to obtain a new one.

misiek
Newly Registered

Post by misiek » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:11 pm

JAJ wrote:
They will almost certainly not accept anything other than a valid Polish passport. Contact the Polish Embassy in Canada to obtain a new one.
I will. Thanks.

tt

Post by tt » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:56 pm

JAJ wrote
After you arrive in the Republic of Ireland, you may want to get hold of an EEA residence permit from the Irish authorities - start at http://www.justice.ie or http://www.oasis.gov.ie

You don't strictly need this permit as far as I know but it will help to document your status should you want to go for Irish citizenship by naturalisation a number of years down the line.
EEA residence permits (for EEA/EU citizens) are being scrapped by the EU Directive 2004/38/EC by the end of this month (April 30), so proof of residency will be based on other criteria which you will have to discuss with the Irish authorities.

misiek
Newly Registered

Post by misiek » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:31 pm

One more question:
Can I renew my Polish Passport in Ireland?
I will travel there on my Canadian, but will renew Polish as soon as I get there.

Thanks.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:08 am

misiek wrote:One more question:
Can I renew my Polish Passport in Ireland?
I will travel there on my Canadian, but will renew Polish as soon as I get there.

Why is there such a problem renewing the passport in Canada? There is a good chance you may be refused entry if you arrive on a Canadian passport with an intention to stay.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:22 pm

misiek,

Concur with JAJ - is there a particular reason you don't want to apply for your Polish passport in Canada. Poland has extensive consular representation right across Canada. Even if you get into Ireland with your Canadian Passport (your long term stay plans IMHO is a big issue and you may get refused entry) there may be delays in your Polish passport being issued during which time you may not avail of any EU law based matters e.g. employment. In the worst case scenario what happens if after 3 months (standard visit leave to enter) in Ireland your Polish passport has't been issued? You need to exit Ireland and return - you run yet more risk of refusal and a long trip back to Canada. This is ignores the financial costs and the stress of all these.

misiek
Newly Registered

Post by misiek » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:07 am

JAJ and Kayalami thanks for your help.

I applied today for the Polish passport here in Canada. I should be getting my temporary one in 2-3 weeks and the one for 10 years in about 2-3 months.

Thanks again for the replies.