ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HELP!! Want to retire to the UK soon

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

NHow
Newly Registered

HELP!! Want to retire to the UK soon

Post by NHow » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:34 am

I am a US citizen taking retirement end of June. I'm over 60 and have enough income to qualify to retire in the UK. However, I have no idea how to proceed. I'm planning to move in with my boyfriend (a UK citizen) in mid July and have a plane ticket. I haven't started to apply yet because I don't know what to do (NYC is the closest consulate that handles immigration visas). Also afraid that if I start the process here I will not be able to move there in July as planned. Should I go to the UK on as a visitor, take up residence, then apply for a visa or will I need to do it from the US?

I'd be very grateful for any advice or wisdom.

Cheers

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:57 am

This might help :-
How do I qualify as a retired person of independent means?

You will need to show:

* you are at least 60 years of age
* you have an income of at least £25,000 a year that you control and that you can transfer freely to the UK
* evidence of any property you own in the UK
* evidence that you may legally transfer your money to the UK
* that you can support yourself and any dependants without working (as an employee) or getting help from anyone else or from public funds
* that you will make the UK your main home, and
* that you have a close connection with the UK.
So taking all that into account, do you qualify?

The wording is part of Guidance - Investors (INF 11). Unless marriage or civil partnership is a possibility I don't see any other heading as possibly assisting you.
John

NHow
Newly Registered

Post by NHow » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:39 pm

Yes, I do qualify as far as I can tell. No problem with the income or having it accessible in the UK. Will make the UK my home (selling house in the US). Close ties include regular trips since I was 15, lots of friends in the UK, parents retired to Guernsey (although now deceased and buried in the US), identification with and love of UK lifestyle.

My question really relates to the timing of the application and whether it would make sense to go over on a visitor visa and apply from the UK. I need to leave the US by mid July and will be living with friend near London. If I start my app in the US could they prevent me from moving until it's approved? This would be a huge problem if so (and it took longer than mid July).

I'm thinking I should hire an immigration lawyer here to file the paperwork and try to expedite everything but don't know if this would help or just cost a lot.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:10 pm

Nhow, you can't come to the UK as a visitor and then apply from here. You have to apply from outside the UK.

If you look at the www.BritainUSA.com website you will see that it is possible to make your application online and then follow the instructions on screen as regards forwarding the evidence or making an appointment.

Your posting seems to assume that there will be a lengthy delay in getting the approval you seek. However in the USA most applications are dealt with quite speedily and if you apply in say April you will hear the result in April, or May at the latest.

As always, unless your supporting evidence proves you qualify your application will get refused. So start collating your evidence!
John

NHow
Newly Registered

Lawyer?

Post by NHow » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:26 pm

Do you think it's a good idea to hire a lawyer to make sure everything is filled out correctly and to help if there are any glitches?

Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:31 pm

I suspect that you probably don't need a lawyer for this, unless your income is £25001 per year and you are therefore dependent upon the rate of exchange from USD to GBP to see whether you pass that test or not.

But if your income is nicely over the needed £25000 figure, and gathering the required evidence together is not problem, then you can probably do this without a lawyer.

But totally up to you.
John

NHow
Newly Registered

Sorry but another question

Post by NHow » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:12 pm

John,

Thanks for all your help. It is putting my mind somewhat at ease. One other thing I wondered about was the sort of proof I may need to show a close connection to the UK. I do not have any relatives there but have two long term friends (of over 20 years whom I see when I visit). One of them is a County Counselor. Do you think I need to ask them to send me letters attesting to my character and the length of the friendship? I'll also be living with someone (but not as long a relationship).

Cheers,
Nancy

ps It also wasn't clear on the website which application form I need to complete for retirement in the UK. Although there's a concise description of the requirements the link goes into a general page with lots of forms and it doesn't specify which one I need.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:29 pm

Do you think I need to ask them to send me letters attesting to my character and the length of the friendship?
Indeed, yes, and also those people should emphasise just how many times you have visited them.
I'll also be living with someone (but not as long a relationship).
Is this someone that might lead to marriage? Or civil partnership? (Sorry you don't mention the gender of the person you will be living with).

If so, is a fiancée visa visa (or proposed civil partner visa) more appropriate?[/quote]
John

NHow
Newly Registered

Retirement to the UK visa questions

Post by NHow » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:56 pm

Yes, it is that sort of relationship but too early to make a statement of engagement (haven't known each other for 2 years and I don't want to burden the relationship). I'd prefer to apply for retirement status as I think it's a lot more straightforward and easier to show proof. I think my friend will accompany me to the interview as he will probably be here at that time. Hope that won't raise more questions.

Do you think they would need more than the letters from my two friends to show the connection? I would think they're more concerned with the economic part (which I can more than demonstrate).

Do you know which application form I need to complete?

Thanks so very much, John. The process doesn't seem nearly as intimidating any more. Hope I can return the favour one day.

Best regards,
Nancy

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:41 pm

Hi, which form? This morning I gave a link to the INF 11 guidance notes. Towards the bottom of that it says what they need when the application is to be made, including the form VAF1 ... indeed it has a link to that form.

These days much of the advice that IND gives to its staff dealing with applications is published on the internet. Have a look at this webpage. Having got there download Section 4, and also annexes G, H and possibly I.

(Extreme patience required downloading anything from the IND website.)

Having done that you will probably appreciate that it is the "close connection" test that is likely to cause you a problem. Annex H goes into some detail. Of course I do not know your detailed history, and don't what to know, but having read Annex H in particular, how do you rate your chances?
John

NHow
Newly Registered

Post by NHow » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:35 pm

John wrote:Hi, which form? This morning I gave a link to the INF 11 guidance notes. Towards the bottom of that it says what they need when the application is to be made, including the form VAF1 ... indeed it has a link to that form.

These days much of the advice that IND gives to its staff dealing with applications is published on the internet. Have a look at this webpage. Having got there download Section 4, and also annexes G, H and possibly I.

(Extreme patience required downloading anything from the IND website.)

Having done that you will probably appreciate that it is the "close connection" test that is likely to cause you a problem. Annex H goes into some detail. Of course I do not know your detailed history, and don't what to know, but having read Annex H in particular, how do you rate your chances?

Oh no...not sure I can pass this test. One of my friends (of almost 20 years) is a County Counselor. She is writing a letter for me. But the other one of even longer acquaintance is not 'eminent.' My parents, as I mentioned, retired to Guernsey but are no longer living. Although I've gone as often as I can manage for holidays and visits it's been short stays as my job is here. I attended an English primary school in New Haven, CT where I grew up and have felt closer to the UK culturally all my life. But don't know if that counts for anything. Do you know how strictly they apply this rule if the age and income and domicile requirements are met?

Panicking again...

Nancy

NHow
Newly Registered

retiring to the UK

Post by NHow » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:59 pm

Would it make a difference that I have been donating labour (developing web adverts) for a supporters' trust of a leading EPL football club for the past year plus and continue to do so? I'm also an investor in this trust (a registered UK business).

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:29 pm

Sorry Nancy, I don't know that I personally can help any more. Maybe someone else can?

As regards the web adverts, I am not sure that does help, given that on a retirement visa you would not be allowed to work. OK, it might show some connection with the UK but I suspect the effect is minimal.
John

NHow
Newly Registered

Post by NHow » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:18 pm

Thanks for all your help John. It is greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I really may need the advice of a good immigration lawyer at this point.

Nancy