ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Success at Sheffield PEO, SET(O) 04 April 2011

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fardeens

ILR Success at Sheffield PEO, SET(O) 04 April 2011

Post by fardeens » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Work Permit: May 2, 2006 (valid for 5years)
Tier1: May1 2008 (valid for 3 years)
Worked for the same employer since July 2004 – to present

Booked an appointment for my wife and me, about 3 weeks ago @ 10:45. My wife was not on my dependant visa status. She was on her own tier 1 visa. We have lived in this country as husband-wife since 2003. In fact I first came as her dependant. Since the form and the settlement page says your wife/children can apply as your dependant, I though I could just challenge the wording and definition of dependants on their website. If nothing they could take it as a feedback and make their guidance clearer. I knew I would get ILR but she won’t but I though it’s worth a try considering she satisfies 2 year rule and being my wife (dependant) according to the terms explained section on their website.

Reached the office @10:15. My old satnav insisted I go in the no entry roads. After about 15 mins of going in circles just used natural navigation(my wife) and managed to find the place. There is a multi-storey car park just a few meters away. Expensive though, £9.50 for up to 8 hours)

Airport style security straight in no queues. Were asked to go to counter 7, which was the reception. Gave us a token number and asked us to wait for the number to be called out.

Within 10 minutes our number was called and the guy asked for our forms, photo and passport. Checked for correct form, photo etc and asked if we would like to give any documents to support our application. We gave him all the documents we thought would be needed. Asked if we had copies, I said no.

1. P60 4years
2. last 12 months bank statement
3. last 12 months salary slips
4. Original work permit
5. Life in the UK test certificates
6. Letter from employer
7. documents for joint accounts (council tax, utility, mortgage statements, bank statements, marriage certificate photocopy)

Again I am not sure if all this was needed, as he just said give me all the documents you want to support this application. I was carrying a lot more, had all 5 years salary slips, bank statements, bills etc.

He put all of these documents in a folder and asked us to pay at the cash counter.

At this point I was feeling a bit jittery as the risk was £350. So I asked the guy if my application was valid and my wife can apply as my dependant as she is on her own tier1 visa but according to the form it says wife can apply as dependant. He said he is not a case worker and I will need to pay for the case worker to consider my case. I said all I want to know is the application valid for my wife. He said hold on and I will check with a case work. He came back in about 2-3 minutes and said, we need to take immigration advice as the casework will be considering the case so can’t give immigration advice. And then said you cannot switch from tier1 to dependant in-country. So my options were, I withdraw the application for both of us and get immigration advice or go ahead with both the applications or withdraw my wife’s. I withdraw my wife’s application and went and paid for mine using my credit card whom I had called and informed of the transaction. I was asked to wait for my number to be called about. This was about 11:00

I was called by case worker about 11:45. My wife and I went to the counter. He asked me what my occupation is. We started asking him questions about the English test requirement for spouse visa. He also sympathised that he couldn’t include my wife’s application as my dependent and trying to explain that these rules are in place to stop people from abusing it but genuine people also get caught out sometimes. He said he will fill all the details on the computer and call me back and also get back with the answer for our question if UK degree or PhD could be used to satisfy English requirement for spouse.

I was called again at 12:30 and said everything is in place and he is pleased to grant me ILR. Also, told us that we both got full marks in Life in the UK test. Then he started chatting about the test and how we found it etc. He also commented that probably we know more about UK then most people sitting in the office. I thought that was sweet. He said I will get my passport in around half an hour’s time but could be longer because of the lunch hour.

At that time I was half pleased and half sad as we still need to get my wife’s visa sorted and suddenly we thought it would be good if they allow my wife to apply for FLR(M) now that we are here and I have got an ILR. We had the form filled and ready with all the documents with us as we planned to apply by post on 5th so don’t have to pay the new fees.

I went and asked the reception saying that as my wife was not allowed to apply for ILR as she was not on a dependant visa could I apply for her FLR(M). He said I will need to book another appointment and they are very busy today. I said I had booked 2 appointments for today but my wife couldn’t apply. So he went and spoke to a senior and they said its okay and once I get my passport back they will sort it out. At 1:30 I got my passport and the reception guy booked a biometric appointment for my wife and gave us a new token. Then we went through the whole process and she was granted spouse visa at about 4:45 with a few hiccups as we didn’t have the original marriage certificate.

So all in all, it was a good day. Spend all day at the peo but came back with one ILR and one spouse visa.

I think the staffs at PEO Sheffield were extremely friendly and eager to help. Wishing all the best to others with their application and hope this long post helps. I would like to thanks all the contributors to this site. This is a real treasure.

slugmeister
BANNED
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by slugmeister » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Congrats.

And thanks for posting all the useful information!

surajban

Post by surajban » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:47 am

Hi Fardeens can you please help me with the following query:

How long did your wife got the spouse visa and what are the documents submitted.

Regards

fardeens

Post by fardeens » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:55 am

surajban wrote:Hi Fardeens can you please help me with the following query:

How long did your wife got the spouse visa and what are the documents submitted.

Regards
Hi

I think its 2 years. She was issued biometric card, which we haven’t received yet. It comes in post in 5-10 working days. There is nothing new in her passport.

Also the documents we submitted

1) Copy of marriage certificate
2) Her bank statements for last 3 months
3) Her salary slip for last 3 months
4) My salary slip for last three months
5) My bank statements for last three months
6) My passport with ILR stamp on it
7) A lot of joint bills as we been living in UK since 2003 as husband-wife (council tax, water bills, joint bank statements, joint mortgage statements)
8) Her original masters and Phd Degree (from UK university)
9) Our wedding cards as we didn’t have original marriage certificate

I am not sure if they required all this, like I said they just asked us to put all the supporting documents we have got in the tray.

Hope this helps.