ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is form (M)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chetkav
Newly Registered

What is form (M)

Post by chetkav » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:48 pm

I am getting more & more confused with this Form (M). to give the forum my background:- I got married to my wife in Asia in May'05. She has been here in U.K. on work permit since April'02. I came with her to U.K. in June'05 on Work Permit-Dependent visa.

Since she was completing 4 yeas in April'06, we applied for ILR in last week of March'06 (keeping in mind 28 days rule).

We used form set(O) for this application & include my name as dependent.

My question is:-
1) wether I will be givnen ILR as dependent or I will get spouse visa.
2) what is the meaning of "2 years qualifyintg period"
2) What is form (M) used for.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:26 pm

I think you are confusing two different forms, forms that are used by different types of applicants.

Firstly the form (M)? I know of no such form but suspect you might be referring to the form SET(M). That is the form that someone who came to the UK, for example, as the spouse of a British Citizen, or someone having ILR. But that is not your circumstance so quite rightly you did not use form SET(M).

Instead you used form SET(O). I would expect both your wife and you to both get ILR.

The "2 years qualifying period" does not apply to you. That applies to someone who would use form SET(M) ... not you!

Looking forward, a year after getting her ILR your wife will be eligible to apply for Naturalisation as British. But you will not, because you will not be able to pass the "was in the UK exactly five years before IND receive the naturalisation application" test.

Instead your wife will need to apply first, and then when she is British ... surprise, surprise ... you will be married to a British Citizen! Once that is the case you will be able to apply for Naturalisation after just three years in the UK (not five years) ... sometime in June 2008.
John